Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Katie Fuller

Default Page Layout/Formatting issue

My precocious 2 year old used his magic fingers on my keyboard to distort my
view of normal, blank documents in Word. When I start a new document, or open
a saved document, every space (or use of the space bar) is indicated by a dot
in the center of the text field. For example, "Hello,.my.name.is.Katie."
Where each period is indicated, there is a dot, only instead of appearing at
the bottom of the vertical line of text, it appears in the center of the
vertical line of text. Also, every paragraph is denoted by the "backwards" P.
I've noticed that additional formatting or editing that would appear blank on
a page also leaves indication icons. (I hope this makes sense.)

So far, I have restarted blank normal templates, used the "select all" under
edit and pressed delete, restarted my entire system twice, opened a saved
document with the hopes of resetting the format only to find that it has the
same indication marks, and played around with my "view" in an attempt to
correct the problem, and all was to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can "reset" Word or how I can "reset"
my view to leave spaces blank, paragraphs beautifully separated without the
backwards P and remove the other irritating indications marks of a key stroke
that does format, but should remain blank in my view?

Thank you,
Katie Fuller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

You have the nonprinting characters turned on. The ¶ button on the
toolbar toggles them on and off. (You might notice that this is the
same symbol as the paragraph marks.) See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm for more
info.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:11:01 -0700, Katie Fuller Katie
wrote:

[...]

Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how? RM Page Layout 6 April 5th 06 05:07 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Print individual page in book fold AnnetteClements Microsoft Word Help 2 July 5th 05 01:18 AM
preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left mikeo Page Layout 6 February 26th 05 12:26 AM