Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

Default caption numbering with chapters

I have a document with multiple tables. I want to include the chapter number
in the table numbering. Using insert caption it allows me to add a chapter
number to the pre-existing label "Table". So for chapter 1 first table I get
"Table 1-1". My next table is in section 1.1.2. If I use the same process I
get "Table 1-2" when I would like to get "Table 1.1.2-1".

Can you only use a single chapter heading (eg., Heading 1) throughout the
document or is there a way for the numbering to change based on the closest
heading used (eg., Heading 3)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, caption numbering can include a *specific* heading level only. If you
want a different setup, you'll have to do it manually (more or less). You
certainly won't be able to insert the captions via the Caption dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP