Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glenn_707 Glenn_707 is offline

Default Porting my Word toolbars, etc. to a new PC

I just bought a new PC. I used the Export/Import wizard to copy over my
settings. However, it did not seem to copy over the settings for Word, or,
for that matter, any other Office product. I know there is an xlb file, which
I think has my toolbar, etc. info. Is there an equivalent file in Word that I
could use to port these settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glenn_707 Glenn_707 is offline

Oops, sorry. Office 2003 no Service Packs, I am behind. Windows XP.

What does Word MVP mean besides the obvious.

I am new to the discussion group, which seems quite valuable; however, I am
not getting emails as promised to tell me I have a response. Does this
feature not work.

Thanks in advance.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Office version?

Glenn_707 wrote:
I just bought a new PC. I used the Export/Import wizard to copy over
my settings. However, it did not seem to copy over the settings for
Word, or, for that matter, any other Office product. I know there is
an xlb file, which I think has my toolbar, etc. info. Is there an
equivalent file in Word that I could use to port these settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What is an MVP? http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/index.htm

Does the e-mail feature work? The messages are hosted on Microsoft's NNTP
server which may be accessed via a number of web portals of varying
uselessness. The MVPs, for the most part, avoid them like the plague and
access the server directly, which doesn't provide an e-mail feedback.
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm . Some of the web portals will sometimes
provide e-mail feedback.

The default toolbars are stored in the registry in the Word data key -
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm . Custom toolbars are
stored in documents and templates, by default the normal template (which in
Word 2003 is normal.dot), which you will find in the folder defined at tools
options file locations user templates.

Glenn_707 wrote:
Oops, sorry. Office 2003 no Service Packs, I am behind. Windows XP.

What does Word MVP mean besides the obvious.

I am new to the discussion group, which seems quite valuable;
however, I am not getting emails as promised to tell me I have a
response. Does this feature not work.

Thanks in advance.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Office version?

Glenn_707 wrote:
I just bought a new PC. I used the Export/Import wizard to copy over
my settings. However, it did not seem to copy over the settings for
Word, or, for that matter, any other Office product. I know there is
an xlb file, which I think has my toolbar, etc. info. Is there an
equivalent file in Word that I could use to port these settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Glenn_707" wrote in message
news
I am new to the discussion group, which seems quite valuable; however, I
am
not getting emails as promised to tell me I have a response. Does this
feature not work.

Microsoft is having difficulties with the notification server and this issue
is currently being looked into. If you are encountering messages that state
there was an error attempting to post It means there was an error posting
the notification in your profile rather than your post in the newsgroup.

If you encounter the message again, try logging out and then log back in to
clear it up. Then click the "Notify me of replies" command after your post
shows up in the newsgroup. If you don't encounter the error then try using
"Notify my of replies" anyway after you have posted. If it still doesn't
work then it could be they've taken the notification server offline as an
attempt to determine where the problem lies.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glenn_707 Glenn_707 is offline

Graham,

Thank you. I am clearly less knowledgeable than you, so let me see if I
understand your reply. Please bear with me.

OK, say I am porting from an old pc to a new one, which I recently did. I
have to load Office 2003 on my new pc, which I did. This would give me a new,
"standard" version of Word and normal.dot, as an example. Now, I have
customized my normal.dot on my old pc. When I port, the export/import wizard
will copy over my old, customized normal.dot and my other selt-created .dot
files. Oh, my leaky memory tells me when I ported I did not overwrite my new
normal.dot, so the old one was called named normal(1).dot on the new pc. Oh,
is that why I "lost" all my toolbar changes, because they were stored not in
normal.dot anymore and my new pc didn't see them. I should have just
overwritten the new normal.dot with the old one.

I did not know these custom toolbars were actually stored in normal.dot.

Question: Is the above correct? I ask because my wife will be need a new PC
soon and we will need to port her, and I'd like to learn from my mistakes.

Question: Let's say I made changes to the standard toolbars, adding buttons,
etc. Will those be in normal.dot as well?

Thank you very much.

Glenn_707 wrote:
Oops, sorry. Office 2003 no Service Packs, I am behind. Windows XP.

What does Word MVP mean besides the obvious.

I am new to the discussion group, which seems quite valuable;
however, I am not getting emails as promised to tell me I have a
response. Does this feature not work.

Thanks in advance.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Office version?

Glenn_707 wrote:
I just bought a new PC. I used the Export/Import wizard to copy over
my settings. However, it did not seem to copy over the settings for
Word, or, for that matter, any other Office product. I know there is
an xlb file, which I think has my toolbar, etc. info. Is there an
equivalent file in Word that I could use to port these settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Your toolbar customisations (standard and custom) will, by default, have
been saved in normal.dot. You can copy the normal.dot from your old machine
to the user templates location on the new one. If you have normal(1).dot,
then rename normal.dot to normal.dot.old and rename normal(1).dot to
normal.dot. That should then restore your toolbars.

Glenn_707 wrote:
Oops, sorry. Office 2003 no Service Packs, I am behind. Windows
XP.

What does Word MVP mean besides the obvious.

I am new to the discussion group, which seems quite valuable;
however, I am not getting emails as promised to tell me I have a
response. Does this feature not work.

Thanks in advance.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Office version?