Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default Get to new document quicker in Office 2007

When I click on the "new document" icon in Word 2007, I get a window that
presents me with an option to creat a blog post, or a new document. Is there
an icon (like in Office 2003) that lets me instantly create a new document,
or a keyboard shortcut I can use?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Paul" wrote in message
When I click on the "new document" icon in Word 2007, I get a window that
presents me with an option to creat a blog post, or a new document. Is
there
an icon (like in Office 2003) that lets me instantly create a new
document,
or a keyboard shortcut I can use?

You can add this capability to your Quick Access Toolbar (the small toolbar
above the ribbon and to the right of the Office Button). On the Quick Access
Toolbar click the More button (little arrow) at the end and select "New".
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

The built-in keyboard shortcut for creating a new document in all
versions of Word is Ctrl + N.

You can also add the New Document icon to the QAT from the Office
Button/Word Options/Customize dialog box.

Cheryl

On Feb 14, 9:07*am, Paul wrote:
When I click on the "new document" icon in Word 2007, I get a window that
presents me with an option to creat a blog post, or a new document. Is there
an icon (like in Office 2003) that lets me instantly create a new document,
or a keyboard shortcut I can use?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

I already have it at the QAT. The problem is that when I click on that (or
even, just after going to the Office button and then selecting "New," is that
instead of immediately giving me a new document, I am given a choice about a
new document or a blog. Is there any icon I can click on to simply create a
new document, without having to take that extra step?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've used the wrong command. In All Commands, choose New or New Blank
Document instead of New...

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
I already have it at the QAT. The problem is that when I click on that (or
even, just after going to the Office button and then selecting "New," is
that
instead of immediately giving me a new document, I am given a choice about
new document or a blog. Is there any icon I can click on to simply create
new document, without having to take that extra step?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Paul" wrote in message
I already have it at the QAT. The problem is that when I click on that (or
even, just after going to the Office button and then selecting "New," is
that
instead of immediately giving me a new document, I am given a choice about
new document or a blog. Is there any icon I can click on to simply create
new document, without having to take that extra step?

There's more than one New command. Remove the New command you currently have
and select "New" from the list of commands you see when you click the More
button at the end of the QAT it will add the button you are looking for. :-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Thanks to you both. I'm actually going to have a bit of fun this weekend
getting 2007 just right--if I don't pull my hair out first. Thanks for saving
me a few tufts.
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks to you both. I'm actually going to have a bit of fun this weekend
getting 2007 just right--if I don't pull my hair out first. Thanks for
saving
me a few tufts.

Spend a little time customizing your QAT so it looks a lot like the old
Standard toolbar and Formatting toolbar. When you're finished, minimize the
Ribbon (double-click on any tab to minimize/restore it) and you'll likely
find something that feels a little more familiar to you. That's what saved
me from chucking Office 2007 out the door a few years ago. ;-)

Here are a few additional tips for adding commands to your QAT:
- To add a command, right-click the command, either on the Ribbon or those
found under the Microsoft Office Button, and then click "Add to Quick Access
Toolbar".
- To add an entire group, such as the Font group on the Home tab,
right-click the group name instead of a button in the group.
- Right-click a dialog box launcher (little arrow in the right corner of
many groups) to add a one click access to a dialog box to your QAT.
- Spend some time looking through the "Commands not in the ribbon" in Word
Options/Customize. Add those commands you find interesting and try them out.
If you find you don't need them then right-click the button and click
"Remove from Quick Access Toolbar"

Also:
- Right-click *everything*. Unlike previous versions, some commands can only
be found by right-clicking. This includes the thumbnails in the galleries as
well.

- Use Interactive Guides to help you find commands you're unable to locate.
They can be found in Help or by using these links:
Excel : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...491511033.aspx
PowerPoint: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/po...490761033.aspx
Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...744321033.aspx

- Spend a little time on Office Online. It contains a wealth of resources
from tips and tricks to training.

--