L Mehl

Default File size is huge after linking many png files - Word 2003 (build 11.5604.6412)

Hello --

The doc file size was approx 200Kb before I started linking a bunch of
screenshots (captured with SnagIt in png format) into it.

After linking, the doc size is 53 Mb.

The png files total 1.4 Mb in size.

I thought linking was supposed to help keep the overall doc file size down.

Is png a bad format to use?

I have tested:
- saving to another file name
- repair upon open
and neither reduced the doc file size.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to shrink the file size?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Mehl

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Larry,

What are the steps you're using?

========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

L Mehl

Hi Bob --

Sorry ...

The steps a
Insert
Object
Create from File tab
Browse
select png file
Insert
Link to file
OK

right click
Format object
Size
Height - reduce to 4 "
OK
confirm scale is H- 51%, W - 51%
OK

Thanks for any help.

Larry

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"L Mehl" wrote in message

k.net...
Hello --

The doc file size was approx 200Kb before I started linking a bunch of
screenshots (captured with SnagIt in png format) into it.

After linking, the doc size is 53 Mb.

The png files total 1.4 Mb in size.

I thought linking was supposed to help keep the overall doc file size

down.

Is png a bad format to use?

I have tested:
- saving to another file name
- repair upon open
and neither reduced the doc file size.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to shrink the file size?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Mehl
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

L Mehl

Thanks Suzanne --

The files will be a lot smaller now.

Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, you're not inserting a picture, you're inserting an OLE object

(which
will be huge). Instead, use Insert | Picture | From File: Link to File.

Then
use Format | Picture to set the size.

so
all may benefit.