Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Warewell

Default On merge,"Same as Previous" re-enabled and section2 header overwri

[Word 2002 Mail Merge with Excel 2002 data source]
[PROBLEM] The text for the 2nd section header gets overwritten with the text
from the 1st section header when I click on either "View

Merged Data" or "Merge to New Document", even though "Same as Previous" had
been disabled.
[BACKGROUND]
I have a multi-section document. 1st pg ends with a Next Page section break.
2nd page includes one of many files based on the state, i.e.
{INCLUDETEXT "i:\\endorse\\{MERGEFIELD "Policy_State"}.doc"}
and ends with a Next Page section break.
Each included doc also contains one or more sections, each of which may
contain its own header.
[STEPS TO REPRODUCE]
1-View, Header and Footer; 2-Click in section 2 header (initially showing
text from section 1 header, and "Same as Previous"); 3-Click on

"Same as Previous" button to disable it for section 2; 4-Delete text in
section 2 header; 5-Click one of the merge buttons == The text

from section1 header appears back in section2 header, and "Same as Previous"
appears over section2 header again.
(Note: Same result for 5-Save, close, and re-open the file.)
[DESIRED RESULT] I want each section to keep its own header. (Note: I've
used this technique before without this problem in a different

master file. Obviously I've messed something up in this doc, but what?)

Please help!
Gordon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?V2FyZXdlbGw=?=,

[DESIRED RESULT] I want each section to keep its own header. (Note: I've
used this technique before without this problem in a different

master file. Obviously I've messed something up in this doc, but what?)

Well, since this setting is controlled by section breaks, you're probably
getting a section break in there where this isn't set. This could be in one
of the IncludeText files. Or perhaps a section break in one of the files
that's NOT of the type "New page" (and therefore the headers/footers have
never been opened and changed).

Also suspect would be the very last section break in a document - the last
paragraph mark. You can't really affect this setting for that; one thing to
try would be putting a continuous section break at the end of every file
involved, and making sure the second to last section (controlled by that
break) has the correct setting.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org