Stephen Glynn

Default Border settings for A4

I want to print a page border -- the three line one -- as near as
possible to the edge of a sheet of A4 paper. What settings should I
use?

I've tried several several settings, all of which look OK in print
preview but actually, when I print them out, end up as one, rather than
three, lines, which I assume is caused by the other two actually falling
outside the print area. Or could that just be my
not-particularly-brilliant printer?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

Graham Mayor wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm

Thanks. I'm still a bit confused, though.

I've followed the article's advice to set all the margins to zero in
File-Page Set-up and then ask Word 2000 to 'fix the problem' when it
tells me that the margins are set outside the printable area of the page.

However, the printable margins it then goes on to propose aren't those
of my printer (in particular, it thinks I can use a bottom margin of
0.29 cm, while Epson think that the minium margin for my model is 1.25
cm. It's the only printer I've ever installed on this PC; where's Word
getting its information from? Or are these Word's minimum margins,
regardless of what the printer will actually so?

Also, when I go to Page-Set-up - Borders - Page Borders - Options and
try to set the page border's margin from the edge of the page, the only
unit of measurement it offers me is a 'point', despite the fact it uses
metric measures for all other purposes. Is there a way to pursuade it
to use measures I can understand? Google calculator informs that that
'1 PostScript points = 0.0352777778 centimetres', (so 1.25 centimetres
is 35.4330709 points) which isn't the easiest conversion to do!

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

Graham Mayor wrote:
Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't appear to, at least on my machine.

As an experiment, I've just downloaded and installed the latest driver
for my printer from the manufacturer's website (it's an Epson C44) and
then tried setting all the margins on a blank document to zero and
seeing what both Word and Open Office's Writer suggest.

Epson say that the minimum margins are 3.00 mm on all edges except the
bottom, which is 12.50 mm. Writer gives me 3.00 mm on all edges except
the bottom, where it proposes 13.10 mm, which is pretty close. Word
says 5.90 mm top and left, 61mm at the bottom and 62mm on the right.
It's not a big deal, since I'd never normally need margins that small,
but I'm just puzzled by how Word's calculating them.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Some applications are less strict in their addressing of the printer driver
and can address the printer directly. Word is not one of these. FWIW I have
an Epson printer here and it gives me .3cm all round? An HP laser printer
gives top .42cm bottom .43cm left and right .6cm (All with A4 paper size).

Stephen Glynn wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't appear to, at least on my machine.

As an experiment, I've just downloaded and installed the latest driver
for my printer from the manufacturer's website (it's an Epson C44) and
then tried setting all the margins on a blank document to zero and
seeing what both Word and Open Office's Writer suggest.

Epson say that the minimum margins are 3.00 mm on all edges except the
bottom, which is 12.50 mm. Writer gives me 3.00 mm on all edges
except the bottom, where it proposes 13.10 mm, which is pretty close.
Word says 5.90 mm top and left, 61mm at the bottom and 62mm on the
right. It's not a big deal, since I'd never normally need margins
that small, but I'm just puzzled by how Word's calculating them.

Steve

ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 5th 05 12:05 PM
how can i gey the bottom of my border to show the settings should. Tindy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 13th 05 04:46 PM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 12:11 PM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 05:23 PM
Why does the border around a page not print? Is on screen, does . WMock Tables 1 November 24th 04 11:19 PM