Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pazz pazz is offline

Default copying format of selected text and pasting on existing text

I'm struggling to work out how to copy a format of selected text in Word 2007
and pasting the format (only) on existing text - all within a table. The
function is quite simple in Excel (ie. Paste Special) but i've never been
able to do it in Word and it's very time consuming to do it individually if u
have a big table
Thanks
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Luc[_2_] Luc[_2_] is offline

Pazz,
You can use the copy+paste format button on the standard toolbar (left of
the undo button). Select the formatted text, double click the button, paste
the format on selected text repeat as many times as you will, click on the
button again to stop the process.
Or you could create a style in the format and styles task pane, and apply
that on selected text.

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
I'm struggling to work out how to copy a format of selected text in Word
2007
and pasting the format (only) on existing text - all within a table. The
function is quite simple in Excel (ie. Paste Special) but i've never been
able to do it in Word and it's very time consuming to do it individually
if u
have a big table
Thanks
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pazz pazz is offline

Hi Luc,
Thanks for your reply but i seem to be having some difficulty in finding
this copy+paste format button (i'm assuming that this is one button?) in
Windows Vista. When i select Paste Special, the options provided relate to
pasting the words that were copied (with or without format). I must be
missing something...
Cheers
Paul

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do I understand that you are trying to paste a format to other text and not
the text itself? For that you can use the format painter.

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pazz pazz is offline

Hi Graham,
Thanks for that idea... unfortunately it still didnt work.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with me copying the text format
within a cell of a table (text is 4 lines deep, with different bold/non-bold
type and paragraph spacings) and applying it to a text within another cell of
the table. When i applied the format painter it changed the format of all
text to being bold and the same character spacing. Both the copied text and
the text whose format is being altered are 4 lines deep. All my cells in the
table are 4 lines deep and will be requiring the same format and just seeing
if there is an easy way to save tedious formating time

Maybe i'm asking something that just cant be done

Regards
Paul

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From that description it seems that you are trying to format a string of
text (the table would seem irrelevant here) with two different formats (some
bold and some non-bold) at the same time. There is no Word function
available that will do that - though it *may* be possible to do so with vba.
All depends on what *exactly* you are trying to format and how the end
result is supposed to look.

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

To add to what Graham has said, you can use the Ctrl+Shift+C and
Ctrl+Shift+V shortcuts to copy and paste formats. What is copied and pasted
(character vs. paragraph formatting) depends on what is selected when you
copy/paste, so you might need to experiment.

"pazz" wrote in message
thanks graham

From that description it seems that you are trying to format a string of