Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris

Default Why does a template revert to another font when saved & reopened?

I've just created a template using Arial 11 as the body text. I write in it
and save it as normal. But when I reopen it the font reverts to Times New
Roman so the font has to be reset.

How do you get around this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You cannot create a normal.dot template by saving a document as normal.dot.
Only Word can create normal.dot and it does so when it cannot find a file of
this name in the user templates folder. You can set the default font by
setting the parameters in the format font dialog and click the 'default'
button. Save normal.dot on closing Word.

Chris wrote:
I've just created a template using Arial 11 as the body text. I
write in it and save it as normal. But when I reopen it the font
reverts to Times New Roman so the font has to be reset.

How do you get around this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darren

Chris wrote:
I've just created a template using Arial 11 as the body text. I write in it
and save it as normal. But when I reopen it the font reverts to Times New
Roman so the font has to be reset.

How do you get around this problem?

In addition to what Graham already stated regarding the font, if you
have specific things that you want to set up for your normal.dot
template (ie: text orientation--left, centre, right, justified), you
actually need to open the .dot file. Then, make any changes that you
need and save them (see:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...210281033.aspx).
Frankly, I tend to have a bit of trouble finding the .dot file using
the instructions that Microsoft provides (I seem to have to try
something different every time), but if you are able to find it
straight away then you will be able to save any customisations beyond
changing the font quite nicely.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You can make all these changes without opening normal.dot by using the
default button on the page setup dialog or add to temnplate from the format
style dialog.

normal.dot is to be found in the folder defined at tools options file
locations user templates. You will probably have to set Windows Explorer
to display hidden files.

Darren wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For additional information on customizing Normal.dot (and what NOT to
customize), see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm