Judes

Default Word Documents Merging By Themselves

I am using Word 2003, and have been having problems with documents merging
themselves WITHOUT using the "Compare and Merge" functions. I update manuals
and training programs, and use previous versions of the documents to create
new ones with different file names. I find repeatedly that when I have both
the old and new documents open, the system will compare and merge the two
into the OLD document, even when it is opened as a READ ONLY document. I
don't know how to prevent this from happening, and am puzzled because this
has only been happening for a few months. I can't find any information
anywhere about this being a recognized problem.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SnVkZXM=?=,

I am using Word 2003, and have been having problems with documents merging
themselves WITHOUT using the "Compare and Merge" functions. I update manuals
and training programs, and use previous versions of the documents to create
new ones with different file names. I find repeatedly that when I have both
the old and new documents open, the system will compare and merge the two
into the OLD document, even when it is opened as a READ ONLY document. I
don't know how to prevent this from happening, and am puzzled because this
has only been happening for a few months.

When you use the term "Version" you don't mean the File/Version, do you? (Just
want to be sure)

Sounds to me as if this could be one of two things
- a macro that's executing. To test this, start Word in Safe Mode (hold down
Ctrl when starting) and open each of the documents holding down SHIFT (to
prevent any macros executing on open). If the problem doesn't occur, then a
macro is most likely the problem

- you've sent the documents around by email and the option (in Outlook) to
add properties for revisions tracking was activated. If you go into
File/Properties/Custom for these documents do you see anything in the list?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)