Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tye

Default Merging 2 or more records into 1 page

Hello

I am sending out a letter that contains information to users. Problem
I am having is that some users have 3 or more records from access that
need to be displayed in one letter, while other users have only 1
record to display. Right now I am getting 30 letters with some of the
letters going to the same user. How can I get mail merge to look at
the last name associated with the record and not move onto the next
page until a new last name is associated with the new record.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Word does not really have the ability to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge.

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

How to Work Around Duplicate Names in Mail Merge Data

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"tye" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello

I am sending out a letter that contains information to users. Problem
I am having is that some users have 3 or more records from access that
need to be displayed in one letter, while other users have only 1
record to display. Right now I am getting 30 letters with some of the
letters going to the same user. How can I get mail merge to look at
the last name associated with the record and not move onto the next
page until a new last name is associated with the new record.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Belinda

Tye,
I have a similar problem which I solved by adding a count to the end of each
record and using next if to include the next record in the same page if the
count was not exceeded.
--
Belinda

"tye" wrote:

Hello

I am sending out a letter that contains information to users. Problem
I am having is that some users have 3 or more records from access that
need to be displayed in one letter, while other users have only 1
record to display. Right now I am getting 30 letters with some of the
letters going to the same user. How can I get mail merge to look at
the last name associated with the record and not move onto the next
page until a new last name is associated with the new record.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Belinda

Doug, I have been attempting to solve a similar problem using next if and a
count added to the data input file. It has worked once perfectly, but I am
now getting what appears to be a bug, in that the failure condition does not
move to the next merge document correctly. It prints the last record as many
times as I have statements but then starts the next document correctly. I
have tried including the count field and that is indeed correct. So next if
works if the condition is true but does not do what it says it will if it is
false. Any ideas?
--
Belinda

"tye" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello

I am sending out a letter that contains information to users. Problem
I am having is that some users have 3 or more records from access that
need to be displayed in one letter, while other users have only 1
record to display. Right now I am getting 30 letters with some of the
letters going to the same user. How can I get mail merge to look at
the last name associated with the record and not move onto the next
page until a new last name is associated with the new record.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Badger

Hi all,

Think that http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;294686
would be of more use, I found it easier to understand and use than any of
the other articles.

In your case Belinda, I have tried the method you are using and too found it
to work well, but also came across the 'bug' you have too !
Thats when I started to use the method in the above article as it required a
lot less code and no 'count' fields in the data.

If either of you need any more help or guidance, just let me know through
this newsgroup.

Thanks
Badger