Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hapytraylz

Default Custom Merge Fields

I have been trying to insert a custom merge field in a document template I am
creating. I don't know how to define the merge field and I don't know how to
list the specific data in my data list (address information) that I would
like to populate my custom merge field with. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SGFweXRyYXlseg==?=,

I have been trying to insert a custom merge field in a document template I am
creating. I don't know how to define the merge field and I don't know how to
list the specific data in my data list (address information) that I would
like to populate my custom merge field with.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "custom mergefield". In Word, a mergefield
has to get data from the linked data source in order to populate a mergefield.
Mergefields really can't be used for anything else.

Are you trying to place "targets" in a document for data you're putting into
Word using automation? More details would help (including the version of Word).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hapytraylz

Hi Cindy:
I have data for each person in my data file. One piece of data is what is
known as an "assessor's parcel number." I would like to set up a document
template that has a merge field labled APN that I could populate to my
merged letter when I do a mail merge. I need to know if it is possible to
create this merge field, then how to get the data from the data source
(addressee's info/profile?) to the document (which is actually a contract
template). Did my explanation help? If not, I'll try again. Thanks for your
help,
Brent

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SGFweXRyYXlseg==?=,

I have been trying to insert a custom merge field in a document template I am
creating. I don't know how to define the merge field and I don't know how to
list the specific data in my data list (address information) that I would
like to populate my custom merge field with.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "custom mergefield". In Word, a mergefield
has to get data from the linked data source in order to populate a mergefield.
Mergefields really can't be used for anything else.

Are you trying to place "targets" in a document for data you're putting into
Word using automation? More details would help (including the version of Word).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hapytraylz

Cindy:
After going to your website and viewing your beautiful bibbin lacework, I
found some things that helped me solve my puzzle. Thanks for your help.
Brent

Hi ?B?SGFweXRyYXlseg==?=,