Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Becky Becky is offline

Default How do I stop word from opening another document when I am typing

I just got a new computer and am using Microsoft Word 2003. While I am
typing a letter several things are occuring; the font and the style changes
constantly, it indents automatically on something that shouldn't be indented,
and it seems to open a new blank word document automatically while I am
typing and pulls me off to the new document. Also, the Find/Replace feature
keeps popping up while I am typing. Please help because all of these pop ups
are slowing me down.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] gurudrew@gmail.com is offline

It's that CTRL key. if you hit it instead of SHIFT you'll end up
starting all sorts of things.

"Becky" wrote in message
I just got a new computer and am using Microsoft Word 2003. While I am
typing a letter several things are occuring; the font and the style

changes
constantly, it indents automatically on something that shouldn't be

indented,
and it seems to open a new blank word document automatically while I am
typing and pulls me off to the new document. Also, the Find/Replace

feature
keeps popping up while I am typing. Please help because all of these pop

ups
are slowing me down.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

wrote

It's that CTRL key. if you hit it instead of SHIFT you'll end up
starting all sorts of things.

I've had to deliberately disable a lot of control functions on my wife's
copy of Word because she often hits control instead of shift. On one
occasion she hit control-A and then replaced the entire contents of her file
with a single space. Without realizing it until it was too late of course

Since she uses the mouse rather than control functions, it's not a problem.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Becky Becky is offline

Default How do I stop word from opening another document when I am typ

Thank you. Out of all the answers, yours was the most descriptive. I hope
you are right in my case and I am sure that you are. How do I disable the
control functions? I do notice that on this keyboard the CTRL key sits up
a little higher than the shift key. That would explain why so many things
were happening.

Becky

wrote