Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wiley Wiley is offline

Default Custom fields in Word

I have a document where I need to insert a date at several locations in the
file. i will need to change the date weekly. I would like to put the date
in at the beginning of the doc, and let it be able to update the other
references to it. I just don't know how to create that "variable" up front.
Which way is best to do this? (custom field, bookmark, cross reference, etc.)
I am aware that I would need to trigger the updating with the CTRL+A then
F9. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruno Bruno is offline

Hi, Wiley
It seems to me that using Insert, Field, Date should solve yoru
problem. Have your tried it yet?
Bruno

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Wiley wrote:
I have a document where I need to insert a date at several locations
in the file. i will need to change the date weekly. I would like to
put the date in at the beginning of the doc, and let it be able to
update the other references to it. I just don't know how to create
that "variable" up front. Which way is best to do this? (custom
field, bookmark, cross reference, etc.) I am aware that I would need
to trigger the updating with the CTRL+A then F9. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wiley Wiley is offline

Works fine except some of the references are in the footer. The forms
toolbar is grayed out when I am in the Header/Footer edit mode. Any
alternatives? I could live with also changing it in the footer once, but I
have several sections in the doc, where not all the footers are the same. So
using the "Same as previous" is not an option.

"Wiley" wrote in message
I have a document where I need to insert a date at several locations in

the
file. i will need to change the date weekly. I would like to put the

date
in at the beginning of the doc, and let it be able to update the other
references to it. I just don't know how to create that "variable" up

front.
Which way is best to do this? (custom field, bookmark, cross reference,

etc.)
I am aware that I would need to trigger the updating with the CTRL+A then
F9. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm for the ones in the
header/footer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Wiley" wrote in message
I have a document where I need to insert a date at several locations

in
the
file. i will need to change the date weekly. I would like to put the

date
in at the beginning of the doc, and let it be able to update the other
references to it. I just don't know how to create that "variable" up

front.
Which way is best to do this? (custom field, bookmark, cross

reference,
etc.)
I am aware that I would need to trigger the updating with the CTRL+A

then
F9. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

REF fields in headers and footers do not (as you have found) update
automatically. You can force an update with a macro run on exit from the
date form field. See the code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm