tspitzig

Default Page numbers and line number problem

Our office recently upgraded to Word 2003. We are having problems with the
set up of pleading paper that has line numbers and page numbers. The page
numbers are set up in the footer and ideally, we do not want page one to
show. The line numbers are set up in a text box in the left margin [viewable
only when you open the header/footer. When we uncheck the box so that the
first page does not show, the line numbers on the first page also disappear.
Any ideas or thoughts on how we can set this template up so that this does
not happen?
Jan Berinstein

It's best not to use the "Different First Page" option with pleadings.
That is because (as you have discovered) headers and footers are linked
in Word, and the pleading line numbers are part of the header. When
you select "Different First Page," Word blanks out the first-page
footer, but it blanks out the first-page header, as well -- and there
go your line numbers.

What you need to do instead is put a section break at the bottom of the
first page, unlink the first section of the document (i.e., the first
page) from the second section of the document (i.e., every page after
the first), and then create a footer in the second section that
includes page numbers. To insert a section break, position the cursor
toward the bottom of page one (preferably after you've typed the text
of the document), then click Insert Break Section Break, Next Page,
OK. If the resulting page break bumps things down too far on the
second page, you can use the backspace or delete key to make
adjustments -- just be careful not to delete the section break. (It's
easier to see the section break if you change, temporarily, from Print
Layout view to Normal view.)

After inserting the section break, click View Header and Footer.
Navigate to the footer for Section 2, and locate the "Unlink" button on
the Header/Footer toolbar. Click that button to unlink the two
footers. When you do, the "Same as Previous" label in the Section 2
footer should disappear. Create your footer in Section 2, then close
out of the footer editing screen.

That should do the trick.

Regards,
Jan

Jan Berinstein
CompuSavvy
Computer Training & Consulting
Southern California

tspitzig wrote:
Our office recently upgraded to Word 2003. We are having problems with the
set up of pleading paper that has line numbers and page numbers. The page
numbers are set up in the footer and ideally, we do not want page one to
show. The line numbers are set up in a text box in the left margin [viewable
only when you open the header/footer. When we uncheck the box so that the
first page does not show, the line numbers on the first page also disappear.
Any ideas or thoughts on how we can set this template up so that this does
not happen?

Jan Berinstein

Sorry, I disagree.

The line numbers aren't contained in a text box. They're in a frame.
That's how the Pleading Wizard sets them up.

If in fact the frame containing the line numbers (and preserving the
spacing, which is determined by the Pleading Wizard based on the font
used, the top and bottom margins, and the number of lines required for
the particular jurisdiction) can be pasted into ONLY the first page
header, I would appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to
accomplish that. It does not work in my sample pleading.

Jan

tspitzig wrote:
Our office recently upgraded to Word 2003. We are having problems with

the
set up of pleading paper that has line numbers and page numbers. The

page
numbers are set up in the footer and ideally, we do not want page one to
show. The line numbers are set up in a text box in the left margin

[viewable
only when you open the header/footer. When we uncheck the box so that

the
first page does not show, the line numbers on the first page also

disappear.
Any ideas or thoughts on how we can set this template up so that this

does
not happen?

Jan Berinstein

Okay, I was able to copy the paragraph symbol in the Header and paste
it in place of the paragraph symbol in the First Page header. That
seemed to copy the vertical pleading lines, line numbers, and firm
name. If in fact I can get that to work reliably on my clients'
pleadings, I will recommend that method (using Different First Page)
rather than the method that relies on a section break.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, albeit a bit brusquely.

Jan

FWIW, it is possible to copy the frame itself, but the method you used also
works.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
A section break in material that would otherwise flow continuously is a

Bad
Idea. "Different first page" *is* the way to go. Just copy the text box
containing the line numbers from the Header and paste it into the First

Page
Header.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

tspitzig wrote:
[...]

Jan Berinstein

Suzanne,

The reason it was preferable to copy the paragraph symbol was that
there were other "objects" that needed to show up in the first-page
header, as well -- the double lines on the left-hand side of the
pleading and the firm name. (You're right that the line numbers were
contained in a text box; for some reason the text box toolbar hadn't
been popping up when my cursor was within the frame, so I assumed it
was not, in fact, a text box.) Copying the frame alone didn't bring
the other objects along. Also, when I tried to paste the frame, it was
difficult to get it in exactly the right spot. Copying the paragraph
symbol seemed to put everything where it needed to be.

I'm sorry if I reacted negatively to your original reply to my post,
but calling something a "Bad Idea" can, and did, come across as brusque
(rather than succinct). Perhaps you intended it to be humorous. It's
easy to misinterpret these things. In any case, I do agree with you
that inserting a section break was a rather inelegant solution, and
that yours works better. I will recommend the more elegant method to
my clients.

Jan