fiona nelson

Default Save All not working

Using word 2000 with updates (help about now reads as word 2002? - from my IT
guys)

I changed computers at work. I then went to change all my styles in Word to
reflect my own preferences, closed word, and repopened to find nothing
"stuck". From other threads I read this was becasue normal.dot was not
saving properly so I re-did my styles (know them off by heart now :-)) and
used shift+file/ save all. Again I closed out of word and found that upon
re-opening none of my changes had stuck again. I also noted that I would
expect to get the message "Do you want to save normal.dot?" and this didn't
appear, and the normal message "word is saving normal.dot" did not appear in
the task manager pane at the bottom of word.

I eventually figured out how to open Normal.dot directly and make the
changes there, but I was wondering if anyone knows why word is exhibiting
this behaviour? I did not have "Prompt to save normal template" ticked, but
I thought that shift+file /save all would over ride that anyway?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to have to open Normal.dot
every time I decide to change something.

Thanks,

Fiona Nelson
Charles Kenyon

It appears that you are missing the step: Save to template... after you have
modified your styles.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"fiona nelson" wrote in message
[...]

But if she is changing the styles in Normal.dot directly and expressly
saving Normal.dot, as she says, then the problem must be down to something
else. Fiona, if you're on a corporate network, make sure that Normal.dot
isn't being overwritten at startup. If this is the case, do what you should
probably have done in the first place and create a specific document
template with the styles and formatting set as you prefer, and then select
that from the File New dialog when you want to create a document.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Fiona Nelson

Suzanne, Thanks for the advice. I should have said that when I directly
saved to normal.dot the changes were maintained. I agree though, I should
set up a proper template - just being a bit lazy.

Fiona
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But if she is changing the styles in Normal.dot directly and expressly
saving Normal.dot, as she says, then the problem must be down to something
else. Fiona, if you're on a corporate network, make sure that Normal.dot
isn't being overwritten at startup. If this is the case, do what you
should
probably have done in the first place and create a specific document
template with the styles and formatting set as you prefer, and then select
that from the File New dialog when you want to create a document.

so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Ah, well, in these changed circumstances, I'll ask if you are running
Acrobat 7. If so, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

:-))
[...]

Fiona Nelson

Thanks again Suzanne. I looked at that site before posting which prompted
me to use the "save all" command. I think Charles is right - I just forgot
to click the "save to template" box. A case of "idiot behind the wheel"
syndrome I'm afraid.