A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I don't want long text in Table of Contents

Old May 26th 18, 06:06 AM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2018
Default I don't want long text in Table of Contents

Hello,

I have the heading like below
1.1 Title. These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

I only want want Bold part in the Table of Contents. "1.1 Title." is Bold part and I only want this to Table of contents rather then complete paragraph.

How I can reduced this keeping all text in one paragraph. I don't want the text in two lines like below
1.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

Please help

Thanks,

Vivek
Ads
Old June 11th 18, 07:05 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2018

Thanks for posting this Question.
Old June 12th 18, 02:26 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Feb 2016

Hello,

You would want to use a Style Separator.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tyle_Separator
The part you want to appear in the TOC is in one style, and the part you do not want to show up is in a different style even though they appear to be in the same paragraph. As far as Word is concerned, there are two different paragraphs with different styles.

For more ideas see Suzanne Barnhill's article:
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TOCTips.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Kumar Gupta View Post
Hello,

I have the heading like below
1.1 Title. These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

I only want want Bold part in the Table of Contents. "1.1 Title." is Bold part and I only want this to Table of contents rather then complete paragraph.

How I can reduced this keeping all text in one paragraph. I don't want the text in two lines like below
1.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

Please help

Thanks,

Vivek
Old August 7th 18, 02:39 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles K. Kenyon View Post
Hello,

You would want to use a Style Separator.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tyle_Separator
The part you want to appear in the TOC is in one style, and the part you do not want to show up is in a different style even though they appear to be in the same paragraph. As far as Word is concerned, there are two different paragraphs with different styles.

For more ideas see Suzanne Barnhill's article:
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TOCTips.htm
Is there a more beginner friendly solution than using Style Separator for this btw?
Old August 7th 18, 04:44 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyQ View Post
Is there a more beginner friendly solution than using Style Separator for this btw?
That _is_ the beginner-friendly solution!

The unfriendly one is using a hidden paragraph mark. That method is still required on the Mac, I believe.
Old August 8th 18, 03:04 AM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Aug 2018

Play free online games at zombs royale the best place to play new and high-quality games every day.
Old August 11th 18, 08:22 AM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Aug 2018
Smile

I have same question. Thanks for the answers on the site. CLick spotify web player sign in