A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I don't want long text in Table of Contents



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 26th 18, 06:06 AM
Vivek Kumar Gupta Vivek Kumar Gupta is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default I don't want long text in Table of Contents

Hello,

I have the heading like below
1.1 Title. These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

I only want want Bold part in the Table of Contents. "1.1 Title." is Bold part and I only want this to Table of contents rather then complete paragraph.

How I can reduced this keeping all text in one paragraph. I don't want the text in two lines like below
1.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

Please help

Thanks,

Vivek
Ads
  #2  
Old June 11th 18, 07:05 PM
Jasonaldean Jasonaldean is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for posting this Question.
  #3  
Old June 12th 18, 02:26 PM
Charles K. Kenyon Charles K. Kenyon is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 38
Default

Hello,

You would want to use a Style Separator.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tyle_Separator
The part you want to appear in the TOC is in one style, and the part you do not want to show up is in a different style even though they appear to be in the same paragraph. As far as Word is concerned, there are two different paragraphs with different styles.

For more ideas see Suzanne Barnhill's article:
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TOCTips.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Kumar Gupta View Post
Hello,

I have the heading like below
1.1 Title. These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

I only want want Bold part in the Table of Contents. "1.1 Title." is Bold part and I only want this to Table of contents rather then complete paragraph.

How I can reduced this keeping all text in one paragraph. I don't want the text in two lines like below
1.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Saudi Building Code Fire Protection Requirements for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia hereinafter referred to as SBC 801.

Please help

Thanks,

Vivek
  #4  
Old August 7th 18, 02:39 PM
WesleyQ WesleyQ is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles K. Kenyon View Post
Hello,

You would want to use a Style Separator.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tyle_Separator
The part you want to appear in the TOC is in one style, and the part you do not want to show up is in a different style even though they appear to be in the same paragraph. As far as Word is concerned, there are two different paragraphs with different styles.

For more ideas see Suzanne Barnhill's article:
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TOCTips.htm
Is there a more beginner friendly solution than using Style Separator for this btw?
  #5  
Old August 7th 18, 04:44 PM
Charles K. Kenyon Charles K. Kenyon is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyQ View Post
Is there a more beginner friendly solution than using Style Separator for this btw?
That _is_ the beginner-friendly solution!

The unfriendly one is using a hidden paragraph mark. That method is still required on the Mac, I believe.
  #6  
Old August 8th 18, 03:04 AM
Milcah9 Milcah9 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Play free online games at zombs royale the best place to play new and high-quality games every day.
  #7  
Old August 11th 18, 08:22 AM
spotifywebplayer spotifywebplayer is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Smile

I have same question. Thanks for the answers on the site. CLick spotify web player sign in
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to setup a Table of contents from text in a Table - Word 2007 Es Microsoft Word Help 2 January 22nd 10 01:06 PM
long document sections and table of contents Michele Walker Microsoft Word Help 1 June 26th 09 10:08 PM
Deleting block of text takes a long, long, LONG time Nessie Microsoft Word Help 1 June 11th 09 03:14 PM
How to create a table of contents from long document Jab Microsoft Word Help 2 March 29th 06 11:56 PM
Creating a Table of Contents in a Long Document Jennifer Dunn via OfficeKB.com Formatting Long Documents 1 February 18th 05 02:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.