Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angel_1

Default LetterHeads

I have attached my company letterheaded paper template to most of my standard
documents (insert file). If i need to edit the template can i somehow update
all documents that have it attatched?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Angel_1,

The only items that can be updated automatically are styles, autotexts,
macros and toolbars. You can update styles automatically by checking the
upper checkbox in Tools | Templates and add-ins | tab Templates.

The other three items reside in the attached template and are therefore
updated as soon as the document is open.

You cannot automatically update text that you have typed.

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"Angel_1" wrote:

I have attached my company letterheaded paper template to most of my standard
documents (insert file). If i need to edit the template can i somehow update
all documents that have it attatched?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angel_1

Hi
thanks for replying.
is there no way that i can ammend the template and then any documents
attatched to that template will have the updated version?

"Angel_1" wrote:

I have attached my company letterheaded paper template to most of my standard
documents (insert file). If i need to edit the template can i somehow update
all documents that have it attatched?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

No, not unless you set it up in advance. And why would you want to do this?
When I type a document and save it, I want it to be the same on my computer
5 years from now as it was when I saved it, regardless of changes in my
letterhead, address, etc. Now, templates, on the other hand, I want to
reflect current information.

A simple way to do this is to have the variable information stored as
AutoText entries. Use AutoText fields in your templates and have an AutoNew
macro in your templates that updates and then unlinks your AutoText fields.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Angel_1" wrote in message
I have attached my company letterheaded paper template to most of my
standard
documents (insert file). If i need to edit the template can i somehow
update
all documents that have it attatched?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angel_1

ok thanks. the reason i want to do this is because we have a new director so
thier name needs to ba added to the footer.

"Angel_1" wrote in message
I have attached my company letterheaded paper template to most of my
standard
documents (insert file). If i need to edit the template can i somehow
update
all documents that have it attatched?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Things you are going to base new documents on should be templates, not
documents. This is different from how things are done using Word Perfect.
For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.