Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John N John N is offline

Default Converting a Word File to PDF

I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You need the full version of Acrobat, or a clone equivalent (much cheaper,
and adequate for most purposes). Don't worry about the 'talking to each
other' -- it will become clear when you install it.

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Adobe Reader can only read PDFs, not create them. You don't necessarily need
the full version of Acrobat, but you need something like it. There are
cheaper clones and trial versions available online. PrimoPDF is one that is
frequently recommended.

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to

be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have

not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

BTW - the program is now called Adobe Reader, not Acrobat Reader. It changed
sometime about 5.0.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John N John N is offline

Suzanne:

Thanks for the advice. Two follow up questions.

1) Where would I get a trial version of PrimoPDF, is there a web link?
And, what version should I get?
2) If I install PrimoPDF, should uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0 so that there
in not some kind of conflict?

Thanks

John

--
John N

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to

be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have

not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John N John N is offline

Jezebel:

Thanks for the reply. I have a follow up question that may or may not fit
this group, but here goes..........

Would the full version or clone, also let me convert WordPefect files to PFD?

Thanks,

John
--
John N

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

www.primopdf.com

No. Primo is not a reader and Reader doesn't create so there is no conflict.
I actually have Primo, Acrobat Pro, and 2 other programs that can create
..pdf files and I have no conflicts.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Adobe Reader can only read PDFs, not create them. You don't necessarily
need
the full version of Acrobat, but you need something like it. There are
cheaper clones and trial versions available online. PrimoPDF is one that
is
frequently recommended.

so
all may benefit.

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like

be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have

not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the
two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Anything that can be printed can be turned into a .pdf file.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the
two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I know - I'm an old dog who has trouble learning new tricks at times too.
;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the
two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John N John N is offline

Hi JoAnn:

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.

I do have a related PDF question, but am not sure this is the correct
newsgroup to ask it, so if I need to ask this somewhere else, please let me
know.

We have a small office. What I would really like to do, is receive incoming
faxes on my computer, rather than a fax machine. I would like to have the
faxes convert to PDF and then have them automatically emailed to my inbox in
Outlook.

WinFax was supposed to be the ticket to do this, but after many hours of
working with it, and tech support, it just will not work on my computer. I
have given up on Winfax for now.

My question is, do you know of any other software besides WinFax that would
convert inbound faxes to PDF and then email them?

Thanks again.

John
--
John N

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the
two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Why do you want to e-mail them to Outlook (unless the Outlook in question is
at another location)?

Fax files are usually in some graphic format of other - in the case of
Microsoft Fax it would be TIFF. You can print to a PDF creation tool as
discussed, or you could use a file converter such as the excellent SnagIt.
You can then do what you want with the file. It is the 'automatic' bit that
you will have problems with.

Given the nature of what you are tryiong to do, you might be better
investigating one of the on-line fax services.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Adobe Reader can only read PDFs, not create them. You don't
necessarily need
the full version of Acrobat, but you need something like it. There
are cheaper clones and trial versions available online. PrimoPDF
is one that is
frequently recommended.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I
would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file.
I have not seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get
the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The idea promoted by WinFax is that incoming faxes are dropped directly into
your Outlook inbox, so you don't have to start up the fax application to
read them, you get the same message notification that you get for emails,
and you can just click Reply to fax the response. That's the idea, anyway: I
never got it to work. (And none of my clients uses fax anymore anyway, so
I've long since stopped caring.)

But why the OP wants conversion to PDF is another matter.

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I
would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file.
I have not seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get
the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

Take a look at PDF995 at
http://www.pdf995.com/

It is free.

Gordo

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would like to
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get the two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't help you there. I don't use faxes.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John N" wrote in message
I have Word 2003, and also have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. I would
like
be
able to take a Word document and save/convert it to a PDF file. I
have
not
seen a way to do this, but I think it can be done.

Do I need the full version of Adobe Acrobat? If so, how do I get
the
two
programs to talk to each other?

Thanks,
--
John N

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cardlaw Cardlaw is offline

Try CutePDF. It's free. cutepdf.com

--
Cardlaw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] andersir@gmail.com is offline

Hi..

Also take a look at an open source alternative
http://www.osalt.com/pdfcreator

PDFCreator acts as a printer driver - and support many of the more
advanced features of PDF creation - among them encryption.

best regards,
Anders Rasmussen
webmaster
Open Source Alternative - www.osalt.com