JennyBean

Default Readability Levels

We had a user call in asking if there was a setting in Word 2003 that would
automatically format a letter at a certain reading level, such as 9th grade.
I have found the readabilty statistics that will show you AFTER the fact what
reading level it is at, but I cannot find any sort of template or auto-format
feature that will correct my grammar as I type.

Does anybody know of such a feature?

katin42

True, there is no such feature, but I've set "Grammer & Spelling" to
"Formal". Then customized other grammatical options for certain documents. It
sure would be a dream come true, if we could have that feature. : )

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no such feature.

"JennyBean" wrote in message
We had a user call in asking if there was a setting in Word 2003 that

would
automatically format a letter at a certain reading level, such as 9th

grade.
I have found the readabilty statistics that will show you AFTER the fact

what
reading level it is at, but I cannot find any sort of template or

auto-format
feature that will correct my grammar as I type.

Does anybody know of such a feature?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I can see it now! Tool - Options - Dumb it down

Repeat as necessary.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There is no such feature.

so
all may benefit.

"JennyBean" wrote in message
We had a user call in asking if there was a setting in Word 2003 that

would
automatically format a letter at a certain reading level, such as 9th

grade.
I have found the readabilty statistics that will show you AFTER the fact

what
reading level it is at, but I cannot find any sort of template or

auto-format
feature that will correct my grammar as I type.

Does anybody know of such a feature?

Yeah, sort of like the Shrink to Fit button in Print Preview. g

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I can see it now! Tool - Options - Dumb it down

Repeat as necessary.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There is no such feature.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JennyBean" wrote in message
We had a user call in asking if there was a setting in Word 2003 that

would
automatically format a letter at a certain reading level, such as 9th

grade.
I have found the readabilty statistics that will show you AFTER the

fact
what
reading level it is at, but I cannot find any sort of template or

auto-format
feature that will correct my grammar as I type.

Does anybody know of such a feature?

Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

I can see it now! Tool - Options - Dumb it down

Repeat as necessary.

Before you can reliably dumb something down, you would have to
understand it when it is still in the difficult form. Simple enough for
a human (although...) but for a computer we would be venturing in the
realms of artificial intelligence. The only computer I know capable of
dumbing down, was HAL9000 (the ship computer in '2001 - A Space
Odyssey'): "Dave. What are you doing, Dave? My mind is going. Daisy..."

--
Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Great movie! That was the last movie I went to see with my mom. I was
growing up - almost a teenager.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

I can see it now! Tool - Options - Dumb it down

Repeat as necessary.

Before you can reliably dumb something down, you would have to
understand it when it is still in the difficult form. Simple enough for
a human (although...) but for a computer we would be venturing in the
realms of artificial intelligence. The only computer I know capable of
dumbing down, was HAL9000 (the ship computer in '2001 - A Space
Odyssey'): "Dave. What are you doing, Dave? My mind is going. Daisy..."

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It was a joke, Amedee.

As was the last sentence of my answer, Suzanne. JoAnn Paules spotted it.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I rarely take anything online seriously. ;-)

If I'd have the time/talent/etc I would have posted a binary of a drop down
menu for Tools - Dumb down. I knew Amadee was teasing and that's okay with
me. I enjoyed the chuckle. And when I whoop Susan's butt in the Hula Hoop
contest at Summit, Amadee will get the chuckle. You'd better start
practicing now!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It still seemed to me you were treating her suggestion seriously.

so
all may benefit.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It was a joke, Amedee.

As was the last sentence of my answer, Suzanne. JoAnn Paules spotted it.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Jenny,

The accuracy of the readability level feature in Word depends
on not only content but on length of the text being checked
(i.e. to get a reasonably reliable level of accuracy there
needs to be a sizable sample of the writing style and structure).

Short sentences and short words may be learned techniques
to keep the 'readability score' at a lower level, but that's
not always the most interesting reading

=========
"JennyBean" wrote in message ...
We had a user call in asking if there was a setting in Word 2003 that would
automatically format a letter at a certain reading level, such as 9th grade.
I have found the readabilty statistics that will show you AFTER the fact what
reading level it is at, but I cannot find any sort of template or auto-format
feature that will correct my grammar as I type.

Does anybody know of such a feature
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

And I'm always so careful with all my JoAnns, too (I have friends and
relatives named Joan [pronounced JoAnn], JoAnne, Jo-Anne, Joanne, etc.). I
haven't hulaed a hoop since I was a youngster, so I suspect any attempts at
this point would just be embarrassing.