SM

Default When I close a document, Word closes. How do I stop this?

If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop this
from happening. Any suggestions?
Anne Troy

Use the bottom X instead of the top X to close the last document.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop

this
from happening. Any suggestions?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Or, if you're using the keyboard, use Ctrl+F4 instead of Alt+F4.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
news:46f2f$42d44518$97c5108d$17197@allthenewsgroup s.com...

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop

this
from happening. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SHG818

I just posted a similar question pointing out that when I activate "Windows
in Taskbar" on the View menu under Tools?Options this problem goes into
operation. Yes, I am using the proepr , and I tried Ctrl+F4 instead of
Alt+F4. Do you think it is a glitch in the program or is it possible it is a
flaw in mine?

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop

this
from happening. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
patty

I close using the small x and word closes completely. I know I am using the
small x and not the red one (I have witnesses) Also, when I send an email
with a word attachment, word closes automatically and I don't want that

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop
this
from happening. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop
this
from happening. Any suggestions?

I too am certain that I am using the small "x" and the same thing happens. Has anyone found a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnalexwood johnalexwood is offline

I just looked through this whole thread and I see that no one actually
offered any solution to the actual problem of Word closing completely when
you close the one .doc you had open. Is this just a bug or is there a way
around it?

john wood
http://johnalexwood.blogspot.com

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way to stop
this
from happening. Any suggestions?

I too am certain that I am using the small "x" and the same thing happens. Has anyone found a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What version of Word are you using? What command are you using to close the
document?

If using Word 2007 and the Close button in the upper right corner then this
is just the way it works. Alternatives a

- Right-click the task in the taskbar and click Close (if using the default
SDI - showing multiple windows in the taskbar)
- Click the Microsoft Office Button and then click Close (add it to your QAT
by right-clicking Close and then clicking Add to Quick Access Toolbar)
- Press Ctrl + W
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, right-click Close and then .
- Switch to a Multiple Document Interface (MDI), click the Microsoft Office
Button, click Word Options, in the Advanced section under the Display
Options, clear Show All Windows in Taskbar. This will provide another close
button (Close Window) below the Close button for the application.

If not using Word 2007 then please provide us the answers to the questions
asked at the beginning of the post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

news

"SM" wrote in message
If I only have one document open in Word, when I close it, it
completely
closes Word. I have been under "Options" and can't find a way
to stop
this
from happening. Any suggestions?

I too am certain that I am using the small "x" and the same thing
happens. Has anyone found a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy - Lovullo Kathy - Lovullo is offline

We are also having this problem. However it is on Word 2003, not 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What command are you using to close the document? Do you have more than one
document open when this occurs? Does it happen on every document? Does the
issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Exit Word, hold Ctrl and start
Word. Continue holding Ctrl until you are prompted to start Word in Safe
Mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote in message
We are also having this problem. However it is on Word 2003, not 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy - Lovullo Kathy - Lovullo is offline

We were able to fix this problem by replacing the normal.dot file.

I'm not sure if the problem occurred in Save Mode, but I do know that it
occurred regardless of whether you used "File - Close" from the menu or by
clicking the bottom of the 2 X's to close the document only. It was not
specific to a document but was occurring in every document.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

What command are you using to close the document? Do you have more than one
document open when this occurs? Does it happen on every document? Does the
issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Exit Word, hold Ctrl and start
Word. Continue holding Ctrl until you are prompted to start Word in Safe
Mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote in message
We are also having this problem. However it is on Word 2003, not 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJSharp PJSharp is offline

OK, dumb question here. OK 2 or 3 of them. I don't know how to post to the
newsgroup. I'm having the same problem with Word 2003. I don't know how to
replace the normal.dot file, or what to replace it with, or what the
ramifications are.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

What command are you using to close the document? Do you have more than
one
document open when this occurs? Does it happen on every document? Does
the
issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Exit Word, hold Ctrl and
start
Word. Continue holding Ctrl until you are prompted to start Word in Safe
Mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote in
message
We are also having this problem. However it is on Word 2003, not 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

I have the same problem and posted a question two times, and the one answer I
got did not help. Here is my question.

When I close a document using Ctrl+F4, Word 2003 closes also. This happens
when there is just one Word document open. This just started happening a few
weeks ago, and is inconsistent. Right now it is doing it all the time. How do
I keep it
from doing that? The answers on previous threads on this same topic did not
help. Is there a straight-forward way to fix it?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

What command are you using to close the document? Do you have more than
one
document open when this occurs? Does it happen on every document? Does
the
issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Exit Word, hold Ctrl and
start
Word. Continue holding Ctrl until you are prompted to start Word in Safe
Mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote in
message
We are also having this problem. However it is on Word 2003, not 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJSharp PJSharp is offline

What command are you using to close the document? I use both the small €˜x,
the €˜Close icon, the €˜Close option under the File menu, and the Alt + F4 on
the keyboard.

Do you have more than one document open when this occurs? No.

Does it happen on every document? I believe so. I haven't pinned down an
example of when it didn't.

Does the issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Exit Word, hold Ctrl
and start Word. Continue holding Ctrl until you are prompted to start Word in
Safe Mode. Yes.