Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
meth

Default File replaced by another file while saving. Anyway to get back the first file?

I'm running Word 2003. I made a mistake. I created my first document
and saved it. My second file uses the same format so I just edit on
the first file. But I forget to give a different name when saving.
Now is there any way to get the first file back?

I see there are a bunch of *.tmp file on the directory I saved the
file. Anyway to open them up and see if I can get something back?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I don't suppose you still have that document open? If you haven't closed it,
you can try doing multiple Undos until you can't do it any more. Then save
it as the original name.

If you have closed it, you're pretty much SOL.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"meth" wrote in message
I'm running Word 2003. I made a mistake. I created my first document
and saved it. My second file uses the same format so I just edit on
the first file. But I forget to give a different name when saving.
Now is there any way to get the first file back?

I see there are a bunch of *.tmp file on the directory I saved the
file. Anyway to open them up and see if I can get something back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Davis

"meth" wrote in message
I'm running Word 2003. I made a mistake. I created my first document
and saved it. My second file uses the same format so I just edit on
the first file. But I forget to give a different name when saving.
Now is there any way to get the first file back?

I see there are a bunch of *.tmp file on the directory I saved the
file. Anyway to open them up and see if I can get something back?

Happyness is a recent backup!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

... or remembering to rename BEFORE editing.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message

"meth" wrote in message
I'm running Word 2003. I made a mistake. I created my first document
and saved it. My second file uses the same format so I just edit on
the first file. But I forget to give a different name when saving.
Now is there any way to get the first file back?

I see there are a bunch of *.tmp file on the directory I saved the
file. Anyway to open them up and see if I can get something back?

Happyness is a recent backup!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In Word 2002 and 2003, you have the additional option of creating a new
document based on another document; it is created as Document # and has to
be named before saving (just like a new document based on a template),
avoiding the possibility of saving the revised document over the original.