Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

Default Custom Envelope Dimension Limitation

I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under Envelope Size, I
choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I overwrite this
with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message indicating that the smallest
length Word will let me select is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get
around this and when printing the label as an envelope, the return address is
off the page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as small as
5" x 3".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The simplest plan is to use the next larger standard paper size and make up
the difference with margins. Word relies on the printer driver to fix the
page size and the relationship tends to be poor with custom sizes. Word has
no idea what the physical size of the paper is.

BCB wrote:
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under Envelope
Size, I choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I
overwrite this with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message
indicating that the smallest length Word will let me select is 6.4".
I do not seem to be able to get around this and when printing the
label as an envelope, the return address is off the page. Is there
any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet 2550n. HP states
that this printer can actually print something as small as 5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use a size that Word will accept and adjust the margins so that you get the
text in the location that you want it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BCB" wrote in message
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under Envelope Size,
choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I overwrite
this
with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message indicating that the smallest
length Word will let me select is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get
around this and when printing the label as an envelope, the return address
is
off the page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as small
as
5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

Regrettably, Word will only allow a .25 inch adjustment of the margins, which
is inadequate to move all type onto the label. I have no idea why the margins
are limited. It seems completely illogical.

"BCB" wrote in message
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under Envelope Size,
choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I overwrite
this
with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message indicating that the smallest
length Word will let me select is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get
around this and when printing the label as an envelope, the return address
is
off the page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as small
as
5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That is not correct. The only limitation on margins is that the sum of the
top and the bottom must not exceed the length of the page and the sum of the
left and the right must not exceed the width.

--

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

As I understand this solution, it doesn't appear to work. To clarify the
problem, I write a letter using standard 8.5 x 11 paper. I generate an
envelope and wish to print it to a 4" x 6" label. The printer documentation
states that it can print to something as small as 3" x 5" and I know that the
printer can easily handle the 4" x 6". I have tried to select standard
envelope sizes that are larger than 4" x 6" and to use the margins that Word
allows for the return address under the Envelope Options tab. Unfortunately,
not matter what envelope definition I choose, Word prevents me from choosing
a "from left" indentation (or margin) that is adequate to ensure that the
left side of the return address prints on the page. There is some sort of
limitation that prevents a value large enough to resolve the problem.

BCB wrote:
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under Envelope
Size, I choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I
overwrite this with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message
indicating that the smallest length Word will let me select is 6.4".
I do not seem to be able to get around this and when printing the
label as an envelope, the return address is off the page. Is there
any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet 2550n. HP states
that this printer can actually print something as small as 5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Forget all about envelopes! Set the DOCUMENT page size to what you want (or
the next larger size). If your printer is capable of 4" x 6" (as is my
Epson) then 4 x 6 will be one of the choices. Word doesn't care a bit
whether the paper inserted in the printer is an envelope or plain paper -
though the printer might.

If you have that 4 x 6 size then set all the margins to zero then allow Word
to fix the limits. You can then put your return address on the page wherever
you want (The envelope return style isn't even required. You can use *any*
style to position the address anywhere on that page.)

As for the addressee information, you can use the envelope address style if
you want - drag its frame to where you want it. Then inside that frame put
the macrobutton field from http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm to call the
address from Outlook (if that is what you want) and save the document as a
template. Use the template to create new documents either for individual
labels or mail merge.

BCB wrote:
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope
address function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under
Envelope Size, I choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38"
x 4.49". I overwrite this with 6" x 4". I then receive an error
message indicating that the smallest length Word will let me select
is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get around this and when
printing the label as an envelope, the return address is off the
page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as
small as 5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the problem both you and Graham are having understanding the
situation is overlooking that BCB is trying to do this through the Envelopes
and Labels dialog, which does not permit the direct formatting of margins
and text placement that you all are describing.

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

OK, well, let me try again and maybe someone can explain what I am doing
wrong. If I select a Custom envelope size and select 6" x 4", Word gives me
an error message that the smallest length dimension it will accept is 6.4".
When I accept that, I then attempt to select, on the same menu screen, under
Return Address, From Left .5", for example. Word limits my From Left margin
for the return address to .25". When printing with this envelope margin, the
return address is off the envelope. Alternatively, I have selected several
other standard envelope sizes, but none allows me to select a From Left value
that is large enough to move the return address onto the envelope when
printing and using those other sizes places the mailing address in an
inappropriate location on the envelope.

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Please reread what Graham is telling you: Do not attempt this through the
Envelopes and Labels dialog. Instead, create a new Blank Document, go to
Page Setup, set the paper size to 6" x 4" (or whatever is the closest size
your printer driver offers as a built-in paper size), and set the margins as
desired. If you must settle for a larger paper size, adjust the margins
accordingly.

Use the Envelope Return and Envelope Address styles (or any others you
choose) to create your document. Use a plain sheet of paper for a practice
run; draw a 6" x 4" rectangle on it (in the position where you will be
feeding your label) and see where your document prints. Readjust the margins
as needed.

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

Thanks for the effort to solve the problem. I do understand that I can
basically create a new document (or document template) and print these labels
individually with no problem. What I am trying to do is to save time and
steps by invoking the envelope dialog and using it for these labels.

Creating a separate document for the envelope requires copying the address,
opening a separate document, pasting the address, and editing the return
address (I use several different ones due to various positions I hold). I was
trying to avoid all that. The envelope menu works great for me for standard
sized envelopes and custom envelopes of a length over 6.4 inches, but has a
nonsensical limitation on size below that that I would like to overcome.
That's what I'm looking for. It is tantalizingly close to what I need, but
off by .4 inches!

BCB wrote:
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope
address function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under
Envelope Size, I choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38"
x 4.49". I overwrite this with 6" x 4". I then receive an error
message indicating that the smallest length Word will let me select
is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get around this and when
printing the label as an envelope, the return address is off the
page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as
small as 5" x 3".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

Thank you. As noted in the reply below, I understand that I can do this. What
I am trying to do is to make the Envelopes and Labels function work for
envelopes (actually labels) of the desired size to make this as easy as
possible. What I am trying to understand is why there is a limitation of 6.4"
(smallest) and if there is a simple way to override it.

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you create a template for these labels (especially if you incorporate
Graham's button), it will be just as easy to use as the dialog. I never use
the Envelopes dialog; I have custom templates for all the different envelope
sizes I use (and they are many).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That is not correct. The only limitation on margins is that the sum

of
the
top and the bottom must not exceed the length of the page and the

sum of
the
left and the right must not exceed the width.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

Thank you again. I really do prefer to use the envelope dialog, especially
with the option to use barcodes and so on. I find it simpler than the
alternative, but may consider it. I was hoping it was possible to fix the
apparent bugs in the envelope dialog, but I'm no one knows of a way to do so.
Thanks for the alternative approaches though.

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I use barcodes in my envelope templates. It requires a little more work in
the initial setup, but it all works automatically once set up correctly (the
entire address is bookmarked, and the bar code references that bookmark).

"BCB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCB

I am sure that, given the time and attention to this, I could perhaps figure
out how to do the same thing. Alas, these days I lack the time for these
sorts of workarounds. It would be nice if Microsoft's product would work a
little better, but I suppose one cannot expect that they will attend to all
the bugs in the system.