Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol G.

Default Word 2003, Open not responding

Help! I cannot open my documents in Word when I am in Word. If I exit Word
and go to My Documents and click on the folder, then on the document, it will
open up in Word. I tried turning off Norton Office Plug-in, but it did not
work. I cannot even go to System Restore to an early date in case an
Automatic Download did something. I run Norton Internet Security.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

"Carol G." Carol wrote in message
Help! I cannot open my documents in Word when I am in Word. If I exit

Word
and go to My Documents and click on the folder, then on the document, it

will
open up in Word. I tried turning off Norton Office Plug-in, but it did

not
work. I cannot even go to System Restore to an early date in case an
Automatic Download did something. I run Norton Internet Security.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol G.

Thanks Suzanne--I found the article you referred me to shortly after I posted
my question and tried it. I just finished the "edit" and it WORKED!!!!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

"Carol G." Carol wrote in message
Help! I cannot open my documents in Word when I am in Word. If I exit

Word
and go to My Documents and click on the folder, then on the document, it

will
open up in Word. I tried turning off Norton Office Plug-in, but it did

not
work. I cannot even go to System Restore to an early date in case an
Automatic Download did something. I run Norton Internet Security.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad it worked for you; it didn't help me--had to uninstall the update.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Carol G." Carol wrote in message
Help! I cannot open my documents in Word when I am in Word. If I

exit
Word
and go to My Documents and click on the folder, then on the document,

it
will
open up in Word. I tried turning off Norton Office Plug-in, but it

did
not
work. I cannot even go to System Restore to an early date in case an
Automatic Download did something. I run Norton Internet Security.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colmfmurphy

This is obviously a major problem across the board, looking at all of the
posts for 4/17/06...
Anyway, I was having similar problems, dumped the update per one of your
other messages and now, the re-install word thingy cannot find a cab file -
SKU112.CAB. ANy ideas for me? The laptop came with office 03, I just unlocked
it...

Yes, I did post a question on a board here but I cannot find it now...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Carol G." Carol wrote in message
Help! I cannot open my documents in Word when I am in Word. If I

exit
Word
and go to My Documents and click on the folder, then on the document,

it
will
open up in Word. I tried turning off Norton Office Plug-in, but it

did
not
work. I cannot even go to System Restore to an early date in case an
Automatic Download did something. I run Norton Internet Security.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colmfmurphy

the re-install thingy came up right after I clicked on word to load it...
wasn't me, honest!!

Colm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colmfmurphy

thank you. I deleted the update and got my 3 puters back up and running. My
daughters thank you - I think. They were able to finsih their homework

Only question now is will ms update automatically try to re-install that
update again?

Colm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I hope so. It cures a real security risk. Keep reading the newsgroups for
news on this because a better fix will come along. Did you try the methods
in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4143b42d0c3ca2
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165. The message gives clearer
instructions for doing what Microsoft is recommending.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Through Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colmfmurphy

Has this issue started up again?
My laptop's "word" will not "save as" again...
and it is still looking for that cab file every time I try to open it.Then
it tells me that word 11 has a problem and that feature (doens't say what
feature) will not work. Then the program opens. I can type, open files just
cannot save anything.

Any ideas?

Colm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How did you get this far down in this thread without reading any of it? See
"Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after

you
install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Carol G." Carol wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

You say you deleted the updated, but you obviously forgot to turn
off the Automatic Updates feature that checks the MS website for
updates and installs missing ones.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OceanMock OceanMock is offline

interesting that all of the so-called fixes tell us that we must be using HP
procucts that are causing the problem... but I have NO HP products on my
system...not a single one... so that cannot be it...MS will not help... cant
afford the exhorbitant recurring fees for help from MS (min $35 each and
every time I have a question!), and non of the proposed fixes here seem to
work (at least, the ones I can understand...some of you apparently think we
are all computer techs with a vast knowlege of the inner workings of the
system).

.... guess I will have to reformat the HD and start all over again (and what
a mess THAT was the last time I had to do it!!! Thanks to MS software
screwups... almost makes one want to switch to macs...).

Too bad MS does not support loyal users...

--
OceanMock

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Does this rant have anything to do with Microsoft Word - or even the content
of this old thread?

OceanMock wrote:
[...]

"colmfmurphy" wrote in
message ...

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
window title file name gbp Microsoft Word Help 12 December 25th 05 06:48 PM
Word 2003 cannot open Word 2003 document MobileGator Microsoft Word Help 5 August 30th 05 09:36 PM