Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Default Open and Repair Issue

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I've never seen this error. Have you tried restarting Windows?

Also, you may want to take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Hello Stefan.

Yes, I have restarted Windows many times since discovering that I have have
no down arrow next to the *open* button and that doesn't seem to be the
issue.

What further confounds me is that I have Word 2003 additionally running on
my at-home computer and the *open* button there does have the down arrow,
Leading to the applicable *open and repair* feature.

I was thinking that it must be a set-up matter since the arrow remains
non-existent on the computer that I use at the office.

Nonetheless, thanks so much for your reply. Perhaps someone else within the
"forum" has experienced a similar situation and can shed some light in this
regard.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

You know what, Suzanne? I hadn't even considered investigating the version
at the office. However, based upon your suggestion, I will do that first
thing Monday morning.

As always, thanks so very much.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I

receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However,

in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down

arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either

change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since I believe Open and Repair was introduced in Word 2003 and since Word
2002 and Word 2003 look so very similar, it would be easy to think that
might be the reason. But I think you said that Open and Repair was there but
dimmed, so that wouldn't actually be a viable explanation, I guess.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure that what you're using at work is Word 2003? What version

is
given if you use Help | About Microsoft Word?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and

receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option.

However,
in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down

arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to

either
change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable

features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Hello Suzanne:

I will be checking the version of Word that is on the computer that I use at
the office. I could have sworn that it was 2003, but I've been incorrect
before. Additionally, the arrow beside the *open* button on the computer at
the office is not dimmed - it is non-existent.

Please keep me posted on anything further you might discover in this regard
and I will be sure to respond concerning the version of Word resident on the
office computer.

As always, thanks so very much for all that you do.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and

receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option.

However,
in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down
arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to

either
change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable

features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Well Suzanne, as much as it pains me to have to say so; the version of Word
on the office computer is also 2003, which seems to mean that the crux of the
problem lies somewhere else.

However, I appreciate the replies from both you and Stefan in this regard.
Should I discover anything further, I'll be sure to share.

Thanks - Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within

and
receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option.
However,
in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no

*down
arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to
either
change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable
features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Suzanne.

Detect and Repair was well worth the subsquent investigation and attempt.
But alas, it did not resolve the issue. This has become quite the challenge,
eh? However, I can't think of anyone I would more appreciate working behind
the scenes than you.

Alternatively, would you have any knowledge of a third-part software program
that might be capable of both *cleaning up* a corrupt document or could be
relied upon for converting documents from previous versions of Word to Word
2003?

My appreciation for the assistance - Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you can always go back to the bog-standard decorruption methods that
we used before we had Open and Repair; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm. I've lost track of
whether or not you're actually able to open the document; some of these
methods do depend on that capability.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure that what you're using at work is Word 2003?

What
version
is
given if you use Help | About Microsoft Word?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the

"RPMitchal" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, also, one last-ditch thought: Where are you looking for Open and Repair?
Note that this option is not on the File menu, as perhaps you might be
thinking. Instead, in the Open dialog, when you click the arrow beside the
Open button, it should be on that dropdown menu. I'm pretty sure that's
where you're looking, but it occurred to me it might be well to confirm it.

"RPMitchal" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Suzanne:

Yes. I have been working with the *Open* button in the *Open Dialogue* menu
as opposed to the file|open menu. However, thanks for checking with me on
that.

Additionally, I have been able to open the series of documents which lead to
my initial question concerning *Open and Repair*. All of the document thus
far have opened, but I have been encountering some rather strange occurrences
or results, which lead me to believe that they may be corrupted.

Thanks - Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Suzanne:

I have read through the procedures on the link that you provided and am
involved with a document that I converted to HTML and then back to Word and
so far - so good.

Thanks again for all of the assistance and feedback received from you and
others fom within the community.

Rod

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Oh, also, one last-ditch thought: Where are you looking for Open and

Repair?
Note that this option is not on the File menu, as perhaps you might be
thinking. Instead, in the Open dialog, when you click the arrow beside

the
Open button, it should be on that dropdown menu. I'm pretty sure that's
where you're looking, but it occurred to me it might be well to confirm

it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Suzanne.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I've never seen this error. Have you tried

restarting
Windows?

Also, you may want to take a look at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.