__XXX__

Default .doc file length double-sized under Office 2003!

Hi there!
I'm editing some old .doc files (created with Office 2000) under Office
2003, and I'm noticing that now file length gets double-sized even changing
just a few chars (or changing none at all)!!!
What's up?? I don't think it's normal...
How can I set file length back to a more congruous size??
THX.

__XXX__

Ooops!
Sorry, I forgot to specify it... I'm just talkin' about SIZE IN BYTES!
Fortunately, doc layout or length in pages have not been changed.

So, e.g., the same doc saved under Office 2000 gets 146KB, saved under
Office 2003 gets 330KB!!! I guess it's too much!
THX

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"__XXX__" wrote in message
Ooops!
Sorry, I forgot to specify it... I'm just talkin' about SIZE IN BYTES!
Fortunately, doc layout or length in pages have not been changed.

So, e.g., the same doc saved under Office 2000 gets 146KB, saved under
Office 2003 gets 330KB!!! I guess it's too much!
THX

__XXX__

THX for your hints.
I followed your instructions:
1. OK

2. OK

3. OK

4. OK

5. OK

6. OK... anyway, there's no graphic at all

7. OK... there's no Embedded objects at all

8. OK... File format is set on Word document (*.doc)

9. OK... I tried to save the doc as HTML file, and then back to .doc, but file size keeps on growing up... now is 366KB!!! (146 - 330 - 366).

Ehmmm... what to do now??

Files seem to be larger with each new version, but doubling does seem
excessive. One thing I didn't list here is Smart Tags; you might want to
remove those as well. But it sounds to me very likely that the document is
corrupt. Are you *sure* you're not tracking changes?

"__XXX__" wrote in message
THX for your hints.
I followed your instructions:
1. OK

2. OK

3. OK

4. OK

5. OK

6. OK... anyway, there's no graphic at all

7. OK... there's no Embedded objects at all

8. OK... File format is set on Word document (*.doc)

9. OK... I tried to save the doc as HTML file, and then back to .doc,

but file size keeps on growing up... now is 366KB!!! (146 - 330 - 366).

Ehmmm... what to do now??

__XXX__

Hi!
Well... doubling happened just at the first saving from Office 2000 to 2003,
and it happened with the most of the old .doc files... I can't believe
they're all corrupt!
I also checked Smart Tags, they're off.
"Track changes" option is off as well... I checked out the Help on how to
turn it off, and I'm sure it was and is still off.

A friend o'mine told me that probably not the files are corrupt but style
options...
in that case I don't wanna modify them, cos I have fear that I'm going to
lose the peculiar layout I've been working on for months...

Anyway, THX for your patience.

P.S.: Ah, it may be of some use to let you know that I'm working with the
Italian release of Office 2003...