Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WendyMc

Default Database Mail Merge with Currency!

I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to complete a
mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I attach this to my
letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes 23000. Is there a simple
reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The merge doesn't bring over the formatting. Use a switch on the mergefield
eg

{Mergefield fieldname \# "£,0.00"}

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WendyMc

Graham - many thanks for this, what a speedy response! got it to work no
problem.

Thanks again
Wendy

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge

Graham,

I have already laminated a copy of your site on Formatting Word Fields with
Switches, sigh. But I have one that I can't get to work. I have an Excel
S/Sheet with Column formatted as 100.00% (84.00%, 45.00%, etc., etc.). I need
to Merge it into my Word document in that format, but I can only get it to
come in without zeros or percent sign(i.e. 100.00% comes in as a "1" ). I
have tried the following switches - nothing works:

{MERGEFIELD "FTE" \# "0%"}
AND
{={MERGEFIELD "FTE"} *100\# "0%"} as you recommeded in your article. I can't
get it to do anything but the number "1" all by itself.

Is there any chance they are going to "fix" this mail merge formatting
business in Office 2007(12)? I can't imagine that my office users are the
ONLY ones who hate it!

Thank you for your help!

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you want the decimals displayed, you need to add the decimal point and
the zeros to the switch

\# "0.00%"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge

Doug,

No, I'm trying to get the three places to the LEFT of the decimal. I get
1.00% instead of 100.00%. A number that was 80.00% in my spreadsheet comes
out as 0.80% in my letter. I would make them "text" in my spreadsheet, except
the percents are used in calculations, and then the rest of the spreadsheet
is "wrong". I tried the {={MERGEFIELD *FTE*} *100 \"0.00%"}, but I get a
"syntax error" in place of the merge field and there is no change.

I would appreciate any help!!!

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge

A P.S. to my previous post, my MergeField name IS in quotes, not the asterik
- I just typed it wrong {={MERGEFIELD "FTE"}*100 \# "0.00%"}...sorry!

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but when I
attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000 becomes
23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You don't need the quotes around FTE, but you do need to press CTRL+F9 for
each pair of field brackets if you are entering the fields directly. This is
what you should have
{={MERGEFIELD FTE} * 100 \# "0.00%"}

.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you want the decimals displayed, you need to add the decimal
point and the zeros to the switch

\# "0.00%"

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

WendyMc wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on using an existing database to
complete a mail merge. The database has a currency field, but
when I attach this to my letter all formatting is lost - £23,000
becomes 23000. Is there a simple reason for this? Any help
would be fab.

Many thanks in advance
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MurrayBarn MurrayBarn is offline

What would we do without people like Graham? I have spent about 3 hours
trying to do what the simple line below states and do you know what I was
doing wrong? I didnt push ctrl f9 twice!! One would have thought MS would be
clever enough to put it into the Bl**dy help files!!! Thank you Graham for
keeping worldwide sanity!