Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
k0_zaw

Default Error in word mailmerge, it source is Ms Access's richtext filed.

I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What do you mean by a richtext field? There's no such thing in Access.

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"k0_zaw" wrote in message
I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Formatting stored in fields in a data source either do not reach Word or
(where they contain HTML format tags or RTF codes) are not interpreted in
the way you might hope by Word.

If the data is in either HTML or RTF format, your best bet is probably to
export the data from each field (e.g. using Access VBA) into a separate file
with a .htm/.rtf extension, then use a nested INCLUDETEXT field to include
the file.

Peter Jamieson

"k0_zaw" wrote in message
I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
k0_zaw

Default Error in word mailmerge, it source is Ms Access's richtext fil

We can input rich text data (i.e. Text with formatting from a form with ms
richtext control or Sir Leban's RTF2 control to a field with data type OLE,
as far as I know, isn't it?

Which make our Report in Access more good looking.
It is not the same issue with formatting word fields with switch.

I'm wondering how we can access the rtf data in OLE data type field in word
mailmerging.

Brgds,
Zaw

"k0_zaw" wrote in message
I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
k0_zaw

Thank you Peter,

So, there is no way ms word know rtf data from Access's OLE field in
mailmerge process. If so, I shouldn't use RTF data in Access field, if i
intend to use then in mailmerge. Regret for my rtf formatting time!!

Wait a minute!
What if I creat another filed (let say, Filed2 with memo type).
And duplicate the "text only data" from RTF field to Field2, and use that
Field2 in word merging instead of RTF filed. Is my idea correct way? if so,
please advice me how i code.

Thank in advance,
Zaw

"k0_zaw" wrote in message
I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

So, there is no way ms word know rtf data from Access's OLE field in
mailmerge process. If so, I shouldn't use RTF data in Access field, if i
intend to use then in mailmerge. Regret for my rtf formatting time!!

That is correct. It is a shame that it has never been possible to store rich
text in any universally recognised standard way in databases. I suppose we
have to hope that XML standard will solve that problem - eventually, but
that will only happen if software authors make the necessary modifications
to their products.

Wait a minute!
What if I creat another filed (let say, Filed2 with memo type).
And duplicate the "text only data" from RTF field to Field2, and use that
Field2 in word merging instead of RTF filed. Is my idea correct way? if
so,
please advice me how i code.

In other words, you have
a. your rich text field
b. a copy of the text from the rich text field but with all the formatting
stripped out ?

That may work, but you may still face problems with the size of your text
fields, because there are various unfortunate limitations on the amount of
text Word will receive from a memo field, depending on how Word connects to
the Jet table (DDE, ODBC, OLEDB). Off the top of my head I can't tell you
exactly what the limits are but you need to test for yourself. In fact, I
would be careful to test that you are getting all your text data even after
you have merged lots of records.

As for how to do it, the chances are that you can do it by opening the RTF
field with your RTF control and using its properties to extract the plain
text. If you can't do that, it might be quite difficult to do, although I
suppose you could always open the RTF in Word using automation, then
retrieve the plain text from Activedocument.Content.Text or some such.

Peter Jamieson

"k0_zaw" wrote in message
I've Access database file, in which one table has richtext field
inputting
data with leban's. When I use msword's mailmerge, database source to
that
access file,
Notice that all are well, but that richtext filed show only some
digits.

As far as surf on web, no answer found.
May be richtext filed don't support in word mailmerge.
Looking for the workaround.

My point is "want to insert data with text formatting in Access, and
use
that data in word mailmerging."

Thanks in advance.
--
Zaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
k0_zaw

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your long explanation. Now, I understand.
Memo filed also don't work for word mailmerge.
We hope Office's next upgrade with XML support may eliminate the current
limitations.

Brgds,
Zaw