Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica Jessica is offline

Default Table of Contents

Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly because the recipient opened the document directly from the
attachment, and it was displayed in Reading Layout view?

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GB GB is offline

I'm having the same issue. Is there a way to rectify this so that the
recipient see the correct TOC?

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are three approaches to this:

1. Suggest that recipients save the document to the HD before opening it
instead of opening it directly from the attachment; it will then not open in
Reading Layout View.

2. Suggest that recipients disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options |
General); some of them may thank you for the information on how to do this.

3. Suggest that recipients, after opening in Reading Layout view and
switching to another view, click in the TOC and press F9 to update it.

Note that all these are actions that must be taken at the recipient's end.
There is nothing *you* can do to make the document open correctly on the
recipient's machine; you can only make suggestions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly because the recipient opened the document directly from the
attachment, and it was displayed in Reading Layout view?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GB GB is offline

I sent the attachment as is and unchecked the "Allow starting in Reading
Layout" box in the General tab under ToolsGeneral. Will that work for the
recipient or does only work from the Word program on my machine?

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's a local setting. They have to have it unchecked for it to do any
good. As I said (and I thought I had made it plenty clear), your only
recourse is to make suggestions.

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GB GB is offline

Thanks Suzanne. Unfortunately when sending capability-type statements to
customers, the solutions/suggestions you offer are not acceptable. This is
an obvious MS Word flaw that should be rectified (and I think that's pretty
obvious). I find it totally unbelievable that a document would lose its TOC
view when opened by a recipient via email. Is there a way to notify MS of
this flaw so they can fix it?

"Jessica" wrote in message
Why are page numbers in TOC lost when document is emailed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi GB

GB wrote:
Thanks Suzanne. Unfortunately when sending capability-type statements to
customers, the solutions/suggestions you offer are not acceptable.

It's sending capability-type statements in Word DOC format per email
attachment that's not acceptable!

If you cannot live with the recipient seeing things "his" way, then
convert to PDF and send that.

HTH
Robert
--