Preston

Default Document property to stop reading layout

It would be a good to have a document property to stop a document from going
to reading layout when being opened from an email message. I have complex
multi-column borchures in word, that when emailed to a client open in reading
layout with the presentation all messed up. This presents a poor first
impression of my services to my clients unless they realize it's word current
view and not the document. As it stand now I'll have to go to a third party
application like Acrobat to send my brochures.

Thanks for considering the suggestio.

-Preston

The best you can do is advise recipients (in the covering email) to change
views or (better) suggest that they disable "Allow starting in Reading
Layout" on the General tab of Tools | Options. You may find that they are
grateful for the information; many users hate Reading Layout but don't know
how to disable it.

"Preston" wrote in message
news
It would be a good to have a document property to stop a document from

going
to reading layout when being opened from an email message. I have complex
multi-column borchures in word, that when emailed to a client open in

reading
layout with the presentation all messed up. This presents a poor first
impression of my services to my clients unless they realize it's word

current
view and not the document. As it stand now I'll have to go to a third

party
application like Acrobat to send my brochures.

Thanks for considering the suggestio.

-Preston

Daiya Mitchell

Although in fact PDF format which Adobe Acrobat creates is a much better
application to distribute brochures in, and you should certainly consider
that. If you google for PDF creation or Acrobat clones you will likely find
cheaper alternatives, though the cheaper alternatives have less features and
I don't know whether any of the free ones might choke on columns. But
considering that you will be assured of people seeing what you want if you
use PDF, it is probably worth some effort to investigate. PDF will also be
seen as more professional than Word, I suspect, if you are worried about the
impression your services make. I'm always very impressed when I get forms I
can type on and then print out in Adobe Reader, for instance.

On 2/20/05 2:18 PM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The best you can do is advise recipients (in the covering email) to change
views or (better) suggest that they disable "Allow starting in Reading
Layout" on the General tab of Tools | Options. You may find that they are
grateful for the information; many users hate Reading Layout but don't know
how to disable it.

"Preston" wrote in message
news
It would be a good to have a document property to stop a document from

going
to reading layout when being opened from an email message. I have complex
multi-column borchures in word, that when emailed to a client open in

reading
layout with the presentation all messed up. This presents a poor first
impression of my services to my clients unless they realize it's word

current
view and not the document. As it stand now I'll have to go to a third

party
application like Acrobat to send my brochures.

Thanks for considering the suggestio.

-Preston

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Preston,

FWIW, while the reading layout view may be available to folks
with Word 2003, there can be other issues related to
viewing Word documents sent to other even if they don't
have that version as the reader (person viewing the
document) rather than the document author generally
has control over how a document is viewed

For example -

Earlier versions of Word may not display
parts of your document that use newer version features.

Word's on screen presentation is affected by the readers
choice of printer driver (Word is text reflow rather than
page layout software).

A reader may be using a MS Word viewer program
rather than Word or may be using Windows Wordpad and not
see all of the features of your document, as they're not
fully supported.

A reader may use 'Normal' rather than Print Layout view
as their usual view or may not open a document full screen
or may turn on, as their default, text boundaries, picture
placeholders, or editing marks, which would also impact
how they see the document attachment.

Some folks will not receive a .DOC file attached to an email
as that file type may be blocked by security/anitvirus software
in companies.

======

--
Let us know if this helped you,