Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] q3537wh@gmail.com is offline

Default customizing Word doc in one file

I have one document that has several groups of intended audiences.
Each audience needs a copy that is a little different from the others.
I hear from someone that there is a way to manage this without needing
multiple files, where I can have one file, and it can manage all these
differences. Supposedly I can just pick one audience and the file will
have one set of text, and if I select another audience it'll output a
different set of text. Does anyone know what this feature is? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no built in feature. There are some ways you can make you
happen, though.

One--for printing/PDF only--
You can format the document in styles--eg, all text for Managers Only is
formatted as managers. When you need to give the document to Employees,
you would format the Managers style to be Hidden. Then print the doc to
paper or PDF and distribute it. For general information on styles, see he
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/TipsOnStyles.html
(a style does not need to have a visible change--in this case, you would
probably overlay a character style on top of paragraph styles that
handled format)

You can't send this out as a Word document, though, because it would be
pretty easy to reverse and for people to see the hidden Manager text.

Two--if you need to create Word documents you can send out, IncludeText
might work. Here, you would have a AllText document that you maintain
and edit, and set up an Employee document that only pulls the
appropriate sections from the AllText, and can easily be updated as
AllText changes. More information on that he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Others may have additional suggestions.