Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer jennifer is offline

Default Captions changing type without user intervention

Hello,
I am trying to use two sets of caoption lables, one with an extra space, to
differentiate between captions in the main document and captions in the
appendicies. I have use this method before very successfully. I have tried
again after my computer was reimaged (it is now running Office 2003
(11.8134.3036)SP2) and now the numbering of both sets is changing to be the
same as the last one I updated, in other words what I would like to have is:
"Figure 1-1", "Figure 1-2"...., "Figure A-1", "Figure A-2" and this is
changing to
"Figure A-1", "Figure A-2"...., "Figure A-1", "Figure A-2" or
"Figure 1-1", "Figure 1-2"...., "Figure 0-1", "Figure 0-2".

I would greatly parreciate it if you could tell me how to fix this problem.

Kind Regards
Jennifer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't offer a solution to the given problem, but I can suggest that
figures in appendixes are often labeled "exhibits" instead of "figures,"
which would solve your problem by allowing you to have an entirely different
label.

"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you press Alt+F9 to show the field codes, do you see two *different* SEQ
field identifiers? { SEQ Figure } and { SEQ Figure_ }?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenniferB JenniferB is offline

Hi Stefan and Suzanne,
Thanks for your responses.

Suzanne, I think I will try putting in a "Figure_" first, I don't usually
get to make name changes (my boss can be rather picky about these things).

Stefan, you were right, the field identifiers were turning up the same even
while they looked different.

Thanks again
Jennifer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You don't have to recreate the caption labels if they are still there. If
you create new captions, do they number correctly?

Note that a possible source of trouble is selecting a caption and then
changing it via the Caption dialog box. When you do this, Word usually tries
to adjust all captions of the same type (but normally it shouldn't change
the actual type of caption). There is a way around this: Simply create an
AutoText entry for each different format, and insert the appropriate
AutoText whenever you need a particular type of caption. That way, you don't
have to use the Caption dialog box at all (except for adding new labels).

Note that you can edit existing SEQ fields. Press Alt+F9 to show the field
code, change the identifier (in { SEQ Figure \* ARABIC }, the "Figure" part
is the identifier), update with F9 and then press Alt+F9 again to hide the
field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP