Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Warning if opened read-only?

Every once in awhile, one of my documents will open in Read Only mode.
I think this happens when the backup program that I am using
(Carbonite), which backs up files continually over the Internet, has
the file open at the moment that I am trying to open it in Word.

Whatever the reason, is there a way that I can tell Word to issue a
warning when this happens?

I usually don't notice that this has happened so I go merrily along
making changes until I try to save it. Then I get the message. It
won't allow me to over-write the original document so I have to go
erase it and then save or some such process.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

You might try something like this in your normal.dot template or other
globally template Addin:

Sub AutoOpen()
If ThisDocument.ReadOnly Then MsgBox "The document you just opened is read
only."
End Sub

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
Every once in awhile, one of my documents will open in Read Only mode.
I think this happens when the backup program that I am using
(Carbonite), which backs up files continually over the Internet, has
the file open at the moment that I am trying to open it in Word.

Whatever the reason, is there a way that I can tell Word to issue a
warning when this happens?

I usually don't notice that this has happened so I go merrily along
making changes until I try to save it. Then I get the message. It
won't allow me to over-write the original document so I have to go
erase it and then save or some such process.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:12:23 -0500, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:

You might try something like this in your normal.dot template or other
globally template Addin:

Sub AutoOpen()
If ThisDocument.ReadOnly Then MsgBox "The document you just opened is read
only."
End Sub

Is that a macro? I'm guessing that it's loke an event macro that runs
whenever a document is opened, right?

Can you post simple instructions for getting it installed? (Or a
pointer to a web page?)

I'm running Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Yes it is a macro.

For help installing and using the macro see:

Also see: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/DocumentEvents.htm

If your document is tied to a specific template you would probably want to
use Document_Open.