Set minimum spacing before/after paragraph

Old June 14th 10, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul

Default Set minimum spacing before/after paragraph

Ideally, I can specify space-before and space-after, and Word would
space two paragraphs apart according to the larger of:
* Space-after for preceding paragraph
* Space-before for succeeding paragraph

This way, I get the following:

* If I got (say) a bullet list after a heading 2, I get the
(presumably larger) spacing after the heading 2.

* If I got no spacing before/after normal body paragraphs,
I still get extra bullet spacing before the first bullet and
after the last bullet

* If I got (say) a Heading 2 following a bullet, I still get
the (presumably larger) spacing needed before the
Heading 2.

On Jun 11, 1:59*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Why wouldn't you use Space After for spacing your bullet items?

Also: How did you post this query? I'm seeing it in the newsgroup (via
google groups), and there have been no postings here in the last four
days -- apparently Microsoft finally made good on their threat to
sever their help assistance from the newsgroups available to the rest
of the world.

On Jun 11, 1:25*pm, Paul wrote:

In Word 2003, the spacing between paragraphs seems to be the sum of
the the following:
** The spacing after the preceding paragrapph
** The spacing before the next paragraph

Instead summing the two figures, is there a way to specify that the
*minimum* spacing after a paragraph, or the *minimum* spacing before a
paragraph? *For example, if the space-after for the last paragraph is
less then the space-before the next paragraph, then the space-before
the next paragraph is used. But the two are not added.

This seems like it would make much more sense than the current summing
that is used. *For example, for a bullet style paragraph, I know how
much space I need between bullets, which I can set as the space-before
the bullet style. *However, the first bullet after a Heading 1 may
need more space, as dictated by the space-after for the Heading 1
style. *I wouldn't want to add the two, because the space-before the
first bullet is immaterial in this situation.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 14th 10, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul

I have "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing" checked. That's what's
causing the summing. I cleared the checkbox and it now looks like the
larger of the two distances is being used. Thanks for pointing out
the checkbox!

On Jun 11, 2:21*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
By default, recent versions of Word set the distance between two paragraphs to
whichever value of Spacing After and Spacing Before is the larger one. This can
be controlled via the compatibility option called "Don't use HTML paragraph auto
spacing" in Tools | Options, Compatibility tab. If the option is *cleared*, Word
sums the two distances.

There is also an option (in the Modify Style dialog box, click Format,
Paragraph) called "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" that is
relevant in this context.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 18th 10, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Sorry, I wrote the opposite of what I was thinking! :-(

I meant to write what you have noticed: you have to *select* the option to have
Word sum the values.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 22nd 10, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH[_2_]

On 12 June, 04:14, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
He's posting through Eternal September, as am I.

Hi Suzanne, I have registered with Eternal September (as possibly many
others) but I cannot work out were to go to next, I do not see the
forums like we used to?
Can you help
Many thanks
DeanH
Old June 22nd 10, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you seem to have arrived here. The MS "forums" were always just a
front end for Usenet newsgroups in the microsoft.public hierarchy. If you
download the list of NGs available through Eternal September and search for
"word" (or microsoft.public.word), you'll find them all. I actually had it a
little easier because I just changed the server on my existing OE news
account from msnews to news.eternal-september.org and found that I was
already (still) subscribed to all my NGs, though I did have to reset each
group to get the messages to download.

http://word.mvps.org

Old June 22nd 10, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

To add to what Suzanne has said, if you want to see the *forums* in your
newsreader, you must also install an NNTP Bridge. The one that Microsoft offers
is found at http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/, and the one created
by the community can be downloaded from he
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 22nd 10, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Only Dean can tell. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 23rd 10, 07:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH[_2_]

On 22 June, 19:47, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Only Dean can tell. :-)

Hi Stefan and Suzanne.
I originally posted my question through Google groups, before I was on
the Communities, apologies if my question was ambiguous.
Anyway, I have followed the instructions from the Stefan for the
CommunitiesBridge, downloading and turning on the NNTP Bridge within
the Answers Forum (in two places as instructed).
Should I start seeing postings from the old "communities" appearing in
the Answers forum? Or is there something else I have to do?
As usual, many thanks for the assistance and hopefully see you
around...
:-)
DeanH
Old June 23rd 10, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

If by the "old communities" you mean these newsgroups, then the answer is no. To
see the newsgroups in a newsreader, you would have to create a separate account,
such as news.eternal-september.org (which I'm using).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP