Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
daisy daisy is offline

Default New to Word 2007

I just got a new computer and it has Microsoft Office Word 2007. When I send
others a word document, they can't open it and it tells them they need a
special program to open it? Do I need to reconfigure it somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the recipients are using something other than Word 2007, they are
prompted to download a compatibility add-in. If you want to avoid that
(which is what I would personally recommend), instead of just hitting save,
do a Save As and change the file type to "Word 97-2003 document (*.doc)"

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"daisy" wrote in message
I just got a new computer and it has Microsoft Office Word 2007. When I
send
others a word document, they can't open it and it tells them they need a
special program to open it? Do I need to reconfigure it somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To go a bit further, if you need to save most of your files in the
*.doc format, you can set that as the default. Click the Office
button, click Word Options, click the Save tab, and set the first
dropdown ("Save files in this format") to "Word 97-2003 document
(*.doc)".

After you do that, you can just hit Save to get a *.doc file, but
you'll have to do a Save As to get a *.dotx file.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"daisy" wrote in message
I just got a new computer and it has Microsoft Office Word 2007. When I
send
others a word document, they can't open it and it tells them they need a
special program to open it? Do I need to reconfigure it somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

After this coming weekend, I will know to add that. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"daisy" wrote in message
I just got a new computer and it has Microsoft Office Word 2007. When I
send
others a word document, they can't open it and it tells them they need a
special program to open it? Do I need to reconfigure it somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Moving documents between Word 2007 and Word 97

Jay, I'm helping a friend who has Word 97 on her Desktop computer and Word
2007 on a new laptop, and will be regularly moving documents back and forth
between them. If she sets Word 2007 as you suggest, so that all the
documents are saved as the Word 97-2003 file type, what are the down sides
of that? Is important functionality lost?

"daisy" wrote in message
I just got a new computer and it has Microsoft Office Word 2007. When I
send
others a word document, they can't open it and it tells them they need

special program to open it? Do I need to reconfigure it somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Everything introduced since Word 97 will be lost/ignored.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP