Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default Query a merge document

I am using Word 2003.
I created a merge file to print file labels. Of course I have several
hundred records in the file. Since I need to re-print these labels annually,
I added fields for 2008, 2009 and 2010. In order to try to sort records, I
want to be able to put a check or "yes" in the year field for the records I
want to print that year. Because we may not want to print all of the records
each year. Is there a way to only pull up the records for 2008 to print or
is there a better way to sort records? I would apprecate any help you can
give me.

Thank you - Aurora
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Aurora,

You could print only the specified year's records by using a SKIPIF field to control which records get printed.

For example, if you want to be able to print only the records for a specified year and you have a:
.. single 'year' column and , you could code the SKIPIF field along the lines of
{SKIPIF {MERGEFIELD Year} {FILLIN "Year to Print" \o}}
.. separate columns for each year and you use a token (eg "Y" or "y") to indicate that the record is current for that year, you could
code the SKIPIF field along the lines of:
{SKIPIF {MERGEFIELD {FILLIN "Year to Print" \o} \* Upper} "Y"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Aurora" wrote in message ...
I am using Word 2003.
I created a merge file to print file labels. Of course I have several
hundred records in the file. Since I need to re-print these labels annually,
I added fields for 2008, 2009 and 2010. In order to try to sort records, I
want to be able to put a check or "yes" in the year field for the records I
want to print that year. Because we may not want to print all of the records
each year. Is there a way to only pull up the records for 2008 to print or
is there a better way to sort records? I would apprecate any help you can
give me.

Thank you - Aurora

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have you tried going into "Mail Merge Recipients" and using the dropdown at
the top of each column to select a particular value in that column? In some
cases you can simply select the value you need.; in others, you can go to
Advanced where you can type in a number of selection criteria. These
selections do not always work - it depends partly n th data source.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Aurora" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003.
I created a merge file to print file labels. Of course I have several
hundred records in the file. Since I need to re-print these labels
annually,
I added fields for 2008, 2009 and 2010. In order to try to sort records,
want to be able to put a check or "yes" in the year field for the records
want to print that year. Because we may not want to print all of the
records
each year. Is there a way to only pull up the records for 2008 to print
or
is there a better way to sort records? I would apprecate any help you can
give me.

Thank you - Aurora

Words 2003 - Editing the SQL Query In A Merge Document Sheldon[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 1 September 28th 07 05:21 PM
Mail Merge Query minignaz Mailmerge 2 August 1st 06 08:56 AM
mail merge query jimmy Mailmerge 1 May 17th 05 12:28 PM
Copy a Mail Merge Query to a new document Paul Brown Mailmerge 2 March 3rd 05 01:43 AM
Merge Query KiwiBrian New Users 1 January 15th 05 01:35 PM