Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cynthia

Default Editing data source

When I use an excel file as the source datafile for mailmerge, I am unable to
edit the datasource from Word using the toolbar options "Mailmerge
Recepients" and then selecting the edit option. In fact the edit option is
not active. Hence, in case I have to make any changes in the source
datafile, I have to exit word and then open the excel file.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Yes, it's an unfortunate limitation - there are not many types of data
source that you can edit in that dialog box.

Your current approach is at least reasonably safe (i.e. Word is unlikely to
corrupt your Excel data) but if you want to try something else,
a. Check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm coversions at open"
b. disconnect from your data source (or just start from a new document)
c. go through the procedure to open your data source again, and select the
DDE option when prompted. This should open Excel with your data source open,
and you should be able to edit the source, merge etc.

However, DDE is an obsolescent technology, and
d. it can "hang" rather easily
e. you can only access the first sheet in your Workbook
f. if you have any Unicode characters in text data, you won't see them in
your merged data
g. etc...

Peter Jamieson