Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ccar ccar is offline

Default print layout mode different from draft mode in same document

In MS Vista, Word 2007, why is the Print Layout mode and the Draft mode
displayed differently for the same document? For example, with the margins
set at 1.25" Left and 0.9" Right, using font Courier New and font size 12,
there are a maximum of 63 characters on a line in Print Layout, and only a
maximum of 61 characters on a line in Draft mode. Is there any way to change
Draft mode to look the same as Print Layout mode?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The draft mode is simply that a draft mode. It is not intended to resemble
the final appearance of the document. If you want a print layout view, use
print layout view.

ccar wrote:
In MS Vista, Word 2007, why is the Print Layout mode and the Draft
mode displayed differently for the same document? For example, with
the margins set at 1.25" Left and 0.9" Right, using font Courier New
and font size 12, there are a maximum of 63 characters on a line in
Print Layout, and only a maximum of 61 characters on a line in Draft
mode. Is there any way to change Draft mode to look the same as
Print Layout mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That said, however, Draft view is a lot less WYSIWYG than Normal view in
previous versions. For example, it doesn't (except in Compatibility Mode)
display any graphics (even inline ones), IIRC. And I know I was very
disconcerted to realize that condensing text showed no result in Draft view
(I have a button to condense text by 0.1 point that I use frequently for
copyfitting purposes). One change that may help (though probably not in
Draft view) is to check the box for "Optimize character positioning for
layout rather than readability" in Office Button | Word Options | Advanced:
Display.

http://word.mvps.org