Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

Default Spell Check - treat underscore as word separator

How can I define an underscore (or any other character for that matter) to be
a word separator? I have sentences such as "... use the vendor_name in the
Initial_Load file ..." and both underscored compound words fail the standard
spell check, but would succeed if treated separately.
This is for Office 2007 - primarily for Word 2007, but this affects Outlook
2007 if Word is used as the email spell-checker.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Andy

Andy wrote:
How can I define an underscore (or any other character for that matter) to be
a word separator? I have sentences such as "... use the vendor_name in the
Initial_Load file ..." and both underscored compound words fail the standard
spell check, but would succeed if treated separately.
This is for Office 2007 - primarily for Word 2007, but this affects Outlook
2007 if Word is used as the email spell-checker.

I don't think this is possible.

What exactly are these underscores (sound like variable names)?
Possibly, you could add them individually to your custom dictionary?

0.2ΒΆ
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

I don't think this is possible.

What exactly are these underscores (sound like variable names)?
Possibly, you could add them individually to your custom dictionary?

The underscores separate words in variable names, such as data elements and
file names. The words themselves tend to be proper words, as opposed to
abbreviations (e.g. vendor_address_1 as opposed to vendor_addr1).

Adding them all to a custom dictionary would not be practical (we're talking
about thousands of possibilities, since customer_address_1, client_address_1
and attorney_address_1 are just some of the possibilities for Address 1
alone).

I also use a text-editor for writing programming code, which handles many
different programming languages, and one of its features is the ability to
define 'white space' - i.e. the characters that should be treated as spaces
for word-checking purposes. In MS Word, spaces, hyphens, commas, periods etc
are already treated as white space.

Thanks anyway.
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Andy

Andy wrote:
What exactly are these underscores (sound like variable names)?
Possibly, you could add them individually to your custom dictionary?

The underscores separate words in variable names, such as data elements and
file names. The words themselves tend to be proper words, as opposed to
abbreviations (e.g. vendor_address_1 as opposed to vendor_addr1).

Adding them all to a custom dictionary would not be practical (we're talking
about thousands of possibilities, since customer_address_1, client_address_1
and attorney_address_1 are just some of the possibilities for Address 1
alone).

you could automate the adding part, but I agree it's probably not
elegant anyway.

If you don't want to see spelling errors there, I only see two options:

- adding the variable names to the custom dictionary, or
- setting the language property of these words to "no proofing" (you
could use a character style for this).

Greetinx
Robert
--