Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roger Roger is offline

Default Contacts management and use

Greetings,
I have stumbled upon this same issue over and over again. It has also
occurred under different circumstances.
For example: I was using Microsoft Word Student Edition to print
envelopes. I wanted to use my Outlook contacts. I go to TOOLS LETTERS AND
MAILINGS ENVELOPES AND LABELS which opens the Envelopes and Labels settings
box. To use the automation option for DELIVERY ADDRESS, you're to click on
the open book icon to open the SELECT NAME box. Once there, you can SHOW
NAMES FROM THE: Contacts or Outlook Address Book. This is where the issue
begins.
First of all, many contacts from my Outlook Contacts database ARE
displayed. MANY of them don't have their address associated with them in this
SELECT NAME box, although a quick look back in the Outlook Contacts [via the
Navigation Pane] shows them intact. WHY?
The other thing that gets me is there seems to be no way to select the
Outlook Address book in this SELECT NAME box, it says NO ENTRIES IN THIS
ADDRESS BOOK. Again, I quick look back at Outlook, shows hundreds of names.
I have tried to find the answer to this riddle many times over the
years, but can't seem to make it work properly. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is a bug in some versions of Word relating to the display of the
Address Book contents. The problem is introduced when you change the way the
Address Book is sorted. It appears to screw up the connection to the
Contacts list. There are two things that you can try to fix it

1. From Outlook delete the Outlook Address Book (NOT THE CONTACTS LIST!!!!)
how you access this depends on Outlook version, but it will be somewhere in
the Tools - Email Accounts dialog. Having removed the address book add it
back in again. This rebuilds the links to the contacts list. If that doesn't
fix it -

2. The alternative is to display the contacts list and set the view to
Detailed address cards. The addresses that don't display correctly in Word
will not have the full address displayed in that view. Opening and saving
the contact will restore the view and the ability to display correctly in
Word. If that is the case you will have to go through all the records and
correct those that are wrong. However the following Outlook macro will open
each contact and then save and close it. Inevitably it will take a while to
run and I have not tested it on a defective file - but as it performs the
tasks that fix the problem it should work. Do however backup your data file
first!

Sub ResaveContact()
Dim objOL As Outlook.Application
Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objContactFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim objContact As Outlook.ContactItem
Dim objItems As Outlook.Items
Dim obj As Object
Dim strName As String

On Error Resume Next

Set objOL = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set objNS = objOL.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set objContactFolder = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
Set objItems = objContactFolder.Items

For Each obj In objItems
'Test for contact and not distribution list
If obj.Class = olContact Then
Set objContact = obj

With objContact
.Display