Default How to prompt for ODBC Connection in mail merge using MS query

Hello,

I have a MS Word mail merge document that runs OBDC using MS Query.

The problem is I do not want to have it automatically connect to the
datasource when the
word document is open.

I would like it to prompt for the odbc login ID and password before
running the connection.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Tom Horton

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ronald Nissley

On 7 Nov 2005 08:19:32 -0800
wrote:

Hello,

I have a MS Word mail merge document that runs OBDC using MS Query.

The problem is I do not want to have it automatically connect to the
datasource when the
word document is open.

I would like it to prompt for the odbc login ID and password before
running the connection.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Tom Horton

Tom,

I don't know about an OBDC login ID/Password, but if you set a database
password (I'm assuming you're using Access), you will be prompted to
supply the password when opening a mail merge document that uses OBDC
to connect to the database.
To set the database password, you will need to open the database in
'Exclusive' mode. Open Access and trigger the Open dialog (File -
Open). Navigate to the database you wish to password protect and select
it. On the Open button (to the far right), you should see a small,
down-pointing arrow. Press the arrow and choose Open Exclusive. When
the database is open, go the Tools - Security menu to set the database
password. There is an option to 'allow saving password' when you are
prompted for the password--leave that unchecked if you wish to be
prompted for a password each time you open the merge document.
This worked for me in Office 2003 Professional. I didn't test
it in other versions.

Hope that helps!

--
Ronald Nissley
A+, MCP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Ronald Nissley wrote:
On 7 Nov 2005 08:19:32 -0800
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the input, but what I am trying to do is this.

I want to create a mailmerge document in MS Word, easy enough...so I
thought.

I want the document to query ORACLE database and obtain a fresh set of
data when
the document is opened. This was easily accomplished using the mail
merge and MS query
while in MS Word.

The only problem now is that when the user' password for the ORACLE
database expires (the password was used in the merge to get the data
via MS query) the document is total useless, you cannot reset the
password for a user.

Is there anyway to create a mailmerge that connects to an ORACLE
database, returns data to the mailmege and that will prompt you for the
ODBC login and password when you open the word document?

Our problem is that our users password expire every 3 months, and its
seems there is no way to have Word mailmerge document prompt you for a
login / PW to the database.

Thanks
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hello,

Thanks for you input.

But my problem is this: I have a mailmerge in MS word then MS Query
that connects to an Oracle database.And it works fine and brings back
data to MS word and populates labels.

However, you have to use a userid an password in the mailmerge to
connect to the Oracle database. But in 3 months the users password for
Oracle will expire (have to be renewed) and
the document is totally useless.

Is there anyway to have MS word prompt for the ODBC or Oracle login and
password?

Thanks
Tom