Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mankoni@gmail.com is offline

Default Para Styles

I have setup a style for Heading 1 . The followed by paragarph is
"Normal"

After completing 3 Heading 1 , I decide to change the style of para to
follow Heading 1 to say 'Funky".

At this point the problem is this change is applied to Heading 1 ONLY
going forward. This does not change the paragarph style following
Heading 1 - 3.

However if I change the style of Heading 1 itself say change the font
size of Heading 1 , word applies it to ALL occurences. My questions is
why does the same not apply to paragraph following the headers?

Am I missing something here.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The "style for the following paragraph" is to assist you in applying
the styles as you are typing/creating the document. For larger
documents, applying every style manually would be a nightmare! Also
consider those times someone may want to use another style instead. If
changing the style for the following paragraph actually modified the
applied styles in a document that would be way too rigid. The way it
works now allows for flexibility. If upon occasion one wants to use a
different style they can. Think of the "style for the following
paragraph" as default functionality - it's a style one plans on using
more than any other style but perhaps not always.

As you found, the only modifications to a style that are applied after
the document/text is created are any formatting changes you made to
the style. The style for the following paragraph only applies when you
are typing and is triggered when you press the Enter key to create a
new paragraph.

So you really aren't missing anything - that's just how they work. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have setup a style for Heading 1 . The followed by paragarph is
"Normal"

After completing 3 Heading 1 , I decide to change the style of para
follow Heading 1 to say 'Funky".

At this point the problem is this change is applied to Heading 1
ONLY
going forward. This does not change the paragarph style following
Heading 1 - 3.

However if I change the style of Heading 1 itself say change the
font
size of Heading 1 , word applies it to ALL occurences. My questions
is
why does the same not apply to paragraph following the headers?

Am I missing something here.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Am I missing something here.

Yes!

Styles are used (among other things) for achieving consistency. Suppose you have
a set of documents of similar and consistent appearance - say Policy Documents.
Suppose also that they have been carefully crafted using styles.

If a new CEO mandates a change of style and appearance (different font, colour,
size etc etc) then all you have to do is modify the styles in the attached
template
(often Normal.dot), and ALL related documents will immediately 'adopt' the new
appearance. In your case, the previous text adopts the appearance of the
modified style - consistently.

If you do not want this to happen, then apply direct formatting to the text.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

oups.com...