Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default how do I get Word to auto complete the complete date?

If I type Sept... it auto filles September. How do I get it then, if I press
the space bar to offer me todays date?

Thanks

Kelvin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pranav Vaidya[_2_] Pranav Vaidya[_2_] is offline

you have to press ENTER(RETURN) key to auto insert the text.
Igf you are using Word 2003, it shows the tool tip.

Also check the auto complete settings in Insert--AutoText--Autotext
Select the Show AutoComplete suggestions check box.

Hope this helps!!
--
Pranav Vaidya
VBA Developer

"Kelvin Beaton" wrote:

If I type Sept... it auto filles September. How do I get it then, if I press
the space bar to offer me todays date?

Thanks

Kelvin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The AutoComplete for dates has been a bit flakey for several versions. What
seems to work for me is after I complete the month, press Backspace to
remove the space after the month and press the Spacebar again. Then you
should see the AutoComplete tip for the current date. Another alternative is
to ignore the AutoComplete tip for the month, type it out, and when you
press the spacebar the AutoComplete tip will change and offer to complete
the current date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Kelvin Beaton wrote in message
If I type Sept... it auto filles September. How do I get it then, if I
press the space bar to offer me todays date?

Thanks

Kelvin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
djprius djprius is offline

Beth Melton wrote:
The AutoComplete for dates has been a bit flakey for several versions. What
seems to work for me is after I complete the month, press Backspace to
remove the space after the month and press the Spacebar again. Then you
should see the AutoComplete tip for the current date. Another alternative is
to ignore the AutoComplete tip for the month, type it out, and when you
press the spacebar the AutoComplete tip will change and offer to complete
the current date.

snip

Beth,

Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut that works to *directly*
insert the current date -- without calling up the date/time dialog box?

The best I can do is to have a shortcut key that brings up the dialog
box and then I need to click "OK" to insert the default date format.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Sure. You can create a macro to insert the current date and assign it to a
keyboard shortcut. The easiest way is to go to Tools/Macro/Record Macro.
Type a name for your macro, such as InsertDate (note no spaces), click
Keyboard, press your keyboard shortcut as indicated, (if you don't use the
shortcut for Double Underline then press Ctrl+Shift+D) and click Close. At
that point you'll be recording. Insert the desired date format using the
Insert Date dialog box and then click the Stop button on the floating Macro
toolbar that displays while you are recording. Then you can use your
keyboard shortcut whenever you want. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"djprius" wrote in message
Beth,

Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut that works to *directly*
insert the current date -- without calling up the date/time dialog box?

The best I can do is to have a shortcut key that brings up the dialog
box and then I need to click "OK" to insert the default date format.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
djprius djprius is offline

snip

Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut that works to *directly*
insert the current date -- without calling up the date/time dialog box?

The best I can do is to have a shortcut key that brings up the dialog
box and then I need to click "OK" to insert the default date format.

I've answered my own question: I realized that after the shortcut
key, I just have to press [Enter] to have the date entered. (That is, I
do *not* have to use the mouse to click "OK".)

I can thus enter the date without removing my hands from the
keyboard, which was my goal.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Alt+Shift+D inserts the current date, but as a DATE field. If you
immediately Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink it, you would get date text in the
format selected as the default in the Date and Time dialog.

"djprius" wrote in message
Beth Melton wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
djprius djprius is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Alt+Shift+D inserts the current date, but as a DATE field. If you
immediately Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink it, you would get date text in the
format selected as the default in the Date and Time dialog.

Suzanne,

Thanks. As I posted later, I found an alternate way to use shortcut
keys to enter the current date without using the mouse: I assigned
"insert date/time" command to a new shortcut key. This calls up the
date/time dialog box. The I press [Enter] to add the default date -- in
my case, the full month spelled out, date, and year -- into the text.
It does not require using the mouse.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It does not require using the mouse.

Neither does the method I suggested, though I agree yours is easier.

"djprius" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Alt+Shift+D inserts the current date, but as a DATE field. If you
immediately Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink it, you would get date text in the
format selected as the default in the Date and Time dialog.

Suzanne,

Thanks. As I posted later, I found an alternate way to use shortcut
keys to enter the current date without using the mouse: I assigned
"insert date/time" command to a new shortcut key. This calls up the
date/time dialog box. The I press [Enter] to add the default date -- in
my case, the full month spelled out, date, and year -- into the text.
It does not require using the mouse.

David

Auto date complete Wooster Microsoft Word Help 2 November 18th 08 11:59 AM
Date Auto Complete JJS-53 Microsoft Word Help 5 February 18th 07 12:30 AM
date auto complete? Freddy New Users 1 February 15th 07 07:40 PM
Auto Complete Date in Word Chris B. Microsoft Word Help 0 September 2nd 05 04:15 PM
How do I correct the date in Word when using Auto Complete? Disp. sandie Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 09:52 PM