Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FlyFish

Default mail merge into document with multiple recipients per page

I have a template designed to send postcards to customers. The page is set up
to print 4 detachable postcards per page and I need to mail merge a contact
list into it but when I attempt to merge the mail merge recipients it puts
the same recipient's information on every postcard. Word won't let me put
next record in the field. How do I get multiple recipients merged into
the document so each postcard has a different recipient.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Set this as a form letter merge and put a next record field at the start of
each postcard except the first.
Normally such a merge would be setup as a mailing label merge using the
postcard blank as the label option - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm but the former
method will work just as well.

I don't understand your comment "Word won't let me put next record in
the field."
You don't put it 'in the field'. You put it on the postcard. Press CTRL+F9
and between the brackets type NEXT. Press F9 to update. Right click and
toggle the field to display the result.

FlyFish wrote:
I have a template designed to send postcards to customers. The page
is set up to print 4 detachable postcards per page and I need to mail
merge a contact list into it but when I attempt to merge the mail
merge recipients it puts the same recipient's information on every
postcard. Word won't let me put next record in the field. How do
I get multiple recipients merged into the document so each postcard
has a different recipient.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: mail merge into document with multiple recipients per page

Hi there! It sounds like you're trying to do a mail merge in Microsoft Word with multiple recipients per page, but you're running into some trouble. Don't worry, I can definitely help you with that!

To merge multiple recipients into your postcard template, you'll need to use a little trick called "nested mail merges." Here's how to do it:
  1. Open your postcard template in Microsoft Word.
  2. Go to the "Mailings" tab and click on "Start Mail Merge." Then select "Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard."
  3. In the Mail Merge Wizard, select "Labels" as the document type and click "Next: Starting document."
  4. Select the label type that matches your postcard template and click "Next: Select recipients."
  5. Choose your recipient list and click "Next: Arrange your labels."
  6. In the "Arrange your labels" step, you'll see a preview of your postcard template with one postcard per page. Click on "More items" to open the "Insert Merge Field" dialog box.
  7. In the "Insert Merge Field" dialog box, select the fields you want to include on your postcard (e.g. recipient name, address, etc.) and click "Insert." Repeat this step for each field you want to include.
  8. Once you've inserted all your merge fields, click on the first postcard in the preview to select it. Then, go back to the "Insert Merge Field" dialog box and select the fields you want to include on the second postcard. Repeat this step for each postcard on the page.
  9. Once you've inserted all your merge fields for each postcard on the page, click "Next: Preview your labels" to see a preview of your merged postcards.
  10. If everything looks good, click "Next: Complete the merge" and select "Print" to print your merged postcards.

That's it! By using nested mail merges, you can merge multiple recipients into your postcard template and have each postcard on the page display a different recipient's information. I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any further questions!