WordCrisis

Default Styles with the font of the underlying paragraph style

Dear Helpful Persons,

I have been using a style certain style sheet on many documents. The concept
has been that when the text is marked up, programs can subsequently come
along and find the marked-up text and capture it. I have been using character
styles that are set to the font of the underlying paragraph style + changing
the font colour so that the people working on the documents can see what
parts they have marked up.

I am now finding documents such that when these styles are applied, they
seem to change the font to the default paragraph font for the document, and
all formatting information (bold, ital etc) is lost. It appears to only
happen in certain documents as opposed to certaim machines so I am thinking
it must be a document setting, but I can't think what it might be. Any ideas?

TIA,
Tim

Applying Default Paragraph Font removes all direct font formatting.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Could it be that users are in Normal view using "Draft font"?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Klaus Linke

"WordCrisis" wrote:
Dear Helpful Persons,
=20
I have been using a style certain style sheet on many documents. The =

concept=20
has been that when the text is marked up, programs can subsequently =

come=20
along and find the marked-up text and capture it. I have been using =

character=20
styles that are set to the font of the underlying paragraph style + =

changing=20
the font colour so that the people working on the documents can see =

what=20
parts they have marked up.
=20
I am now finding documents such that when these styles are applied, =

they=20
seem to change the font to the default paragraph font for the =

document, and=20
all formatting information (bold, ital etc) is lost. It appears to =

only=20
happen in certain documents as opposed to certaim machines so I am =

thinking=20
it must be a document setting, but I can't think what it might be. Any =

ideas?

Hi Tim,

I think that's standard behaviour with all character styles:
Applying any character style will remove any manual font formatting (all =
Word versions, on all machines).

And there isn't much you can do about it, at least not without quite a =
bit of work. You could write your own macro that remembers the manual =
font formatting (either all of it or special kinds such as italic and =
bold), applies the character style, and reapplies the manual font =
formatting.

Regards,
Klaus