Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Artrinsic Artrinsic is offline

Default Find function in Word does not work when searching double spaces

In Windows XP, when I try to find double spaces using the "Find" function so
that I can replace them with a single space, it does not work. The "Find"
function also does not work when performing searches for words. This function
worked well in Windows 2000. Does anyone have a solution to this? - Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a wildcard search for
([ ])@
replace with
\1

There is a space between [ and ] in the search pattern. This will find all
instances of multiple spaces and replace them with a single space.

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Artrinsic wrote:
In Windows XP, when I try to find double spaces using the "Find"
function so that I can replace them with a single space, it does not
work. The "Find" function also does not work when performing searches
for words. This function worked well in Windows 2000. Does anyone
have a solution to this? - Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Artrinsic Artrinsic is offline

Default Find function in Word does not work when searching double spac

February 12, 2007

Thanks morgancreative,

I am using "Find" at times, and "Find" / "Replace" at other times, and it
still does not work. I will try again. Could it be that the software may not
have been properly or fully installed?

Thanks,

Artrinsic

"Artrinsic" wrote:

In Windows XP, when I try to find double spaces using the "Find" function so
that I can replace them with a single space, it does not work. The "Find"
function also does not work when performing searches for words. This function
worked well in Windows 2000. Does anyone have a solution to this? - Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Copy an example of the double spaces and paste it into the Find prompt.

I suspect that at some stage you have obtained that text from a browser. A
browser expresses double spaces as two different characters: a non-breaking
space followed by a space.

If you search for {space}{space} you will not find {nbspace}{space}. If you
search for {nbspace}{space} you will.

It's difficult to tell the difference by eye, but if you click your
Show/Hide button and perhaps increase the Zoom magnification a little, you
will see that the two characters are differently rendered on screen.

Cheers

On 13/2/07 6:52 AM, in article
, "Artrinsic"

"Artrinsic" wrote:

In Windows XP, when I try to find double spaces using the "Find" function so
that I can replace them with a single space, it does not work. The "Find"
function also does not work when performing searches for words. This
function
worked well in Windows 2000. Does anyone have a solution to this? - Thanks!!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In my copy of Word, searching for {space}{space} DOES find {nbspace}{space}.
Did you actually try this before you posted, John?

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...