Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JoelAtWork

Default RTL keyboard shortcut that shouldn't exist

I'm working on a bilingual English/Farsi document at the moment.
There's a keyboard command that is affecting the text that I can't find
anywhere in Word, and I'm wondering if it's actually not part of Word
at all.

The Farsi text is specified as right-to-left in the Paragraph Options
window. When I hold down Control and Shift on the right side of the
keyboarard, if I can possibly avoid it, so any advice is welcome.d and
let them go, it changes the paragraph to left-to-right. It doesn't
happen when I use the Control and Shift on the right side of the
keyboard. When I generate a list of all commands using the macro
ListCommands, there are lots of keyboard commands that are Ctrl+Shift+
another letter, but none that are Ctrl+Shift by itself (and no
LeftCtrl+Shift+anything at all).

This is a fresh install of Word 2003 on a fresh install of Windows XP,
with a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Is this maybe being
caused by my keyboard? It happens even when I remove the Intellitype
drivers for the keyboard, so it should be behaving like a standard 101
keyboard, but you never know.

Any ideas? I almost completely trashed the Farsi before I figured out
what was going on; thank heavens for hundreds of layers of Undo. I'd
rather not try to retrain myself to always use the ones on the right
side of the keybo

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Joel,

As a guess, it may be coming not from Word but from the Windows Language toolbar 'hotkey' for switching keyboard languages.
Ctrl+Left Shift is one of the keysets you can activate for use in the Windows Control Panel for selecting a language.

=======

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JoelAtWork

Sorry, I try to cover everything I've tried before I post a question,
but I missed this one. I turned off all of the autoswitching of
keyboards & input methods; I have three different input methods
installed, but I use them only rarely, so I keep thes keyboard commands
turned off. Besides, the input language isn't switching when I do this.
IIRC, this issue popped up before I installed Farsi & Japanese input
methods.

Any other ideas?