Word2003 cannot access Word2000 files - Files>Versions is grayed .

Old February 9th 05, 05:23 PM
BummedOutWith2003

Default Word2003 cannot access Word2000 files - Files>Versions is grayed .

Just upgraded from Office2000 to Office2003. I did the recommended
installation for all products. No errors, no problems. Now, when I attempt
to open a document created with the older version of Word (2000), it will not
open and displays a "file not available" message. I downloaded the
Office2003 - Converter, but it hasn't changed anything. I am also unable to
access the "FileVersions" menu option, or access "ToolsOptions" either, as
they are both grayed out. Any thoughts on how I can get past this problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old February 10th 05, 12:45 AM
john Ash

I've got the same problem, and I also got the same message while working in
Word2000. I thought upgrading would solve it but it didn't, so we're in the
same boat, and MS has nothing helpful in its knowledge base. sometimes it
goes to "safe" mode when a file is actually opened, but normally only the not
available message comes up, so I'm using Wordperfect12 which converts Word
docs easily.