Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jason Saffer

Default How to cut and paste and still retain section heading numbers in a long document

Hi all,

I have a 100 page document divided into five sections. Each section has a
Level 3 heading and numerous sub-headings (Level 2 and Level 3). I need to
be able to send via e-mail parts of this document to others who are helping
write and edit it. But when I highlight a section of the document, and cut
and paste just that section into a new blank file, the section numbers
change. For example, if I highlight Section 5 (with 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.2, etc
in it) and then cut and paste it so I can create a new file to send to one
of my editors, the section number in the new file changes from 5.1 to 1.1.

I'd like to find a way to keep the original section numbers when I send the
document to another. I don't want to have to send the entire 100 page
document each time via e-mail, I'd rather just send the section that needs
editing help.

Is there another way to do this to accomplish my goal? All tips would be
greatly appreciated.

....Jason