Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Johann MacDonagh Johann MacDonagh is offline

Default Fillable fields that automatically fill out other fields

Hi,

I'm building a template and I'm running into some problems. I want an area
that a user can easily click and replace the test, for example [Click here to
type in the Name of the System]. I can do that easily enough. However, I'd
love it if that entered text could be referenced later in the body of the
document.

I've tried wrapping a bookmark around a DoFieldClick MACROBUTTON, but
whenever a user clicks to enter text the bookmark is either removed or set
aside while the entered text is outside it.

The only other option I can see is to use ASK fields, but I don't know how
well users like being prompted like that. Also, whenever I add an ASK field,
Word immediately asks me for the answer, and never prompts again. I've tried
saving it as both a .doc and a .dot .

Again, I'd prefer to use the more hackish way of using a MACROBUTTON, but I
can't seem to figure out how to reference that text later. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Johann
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Johann MacDonagh" wrote:

Hi,

I'm building a template and I'm running into some problems.

So, searching back I found this page:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

And it looks like I forgot to click on Protect Form before typing in things.
With Protect Form checked, I can click to type in text into the Text Form
Field. However, the rest of the document is locked from editing (makes
sense), but this is not what I want.

I simply want a way to have an easy to "click-and-edit" area in my Word
document that makes changes in other areas of the document. The user still
needs to be able to make appropriate changes the whole document, so I think a
form is out of the question.

I've tried testing a DoFieldClick MACROBUTTON inside of a SET field, but the
SET field is always invisible.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Put the click and edit part of the document in a separate Section (insert
Section Breaks before and after) and then apply the protection to that
Section only.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.